Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good afternoon yesterday got me a nice 6 pointer. The hide is the prettiest I have seen yet, and I want to get it tanned. It's so brown it's almost red. Very nice coat.

Does anyone know who would be good to do this near Mechanicsville? I'll need to decide today.

YEAH! First black Powder Buck[excited]

·
Registered
99 Posts
Scott, Congrat's on your first smokepole kill. I would think any good taxidermist would do it for you, but you might have to check w/ 2 or 3. They all send their capes off to be tanned, but most will tell you they can't garantee what it will look like after it comes out of the tumbler.

I had a pinto done 5 years ago and had the horns put on a plack. He wanted 150$ to put a felt backing on it, do the horns, and also did a feet gun rack. He never did the felt so I got it for a 100$.

They say you can flesh it and boil the brain's to use for tannin the hide. I have not tried it yet but the say it works well and makes the hide soft like glove leather.

BILL

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks High Tides, Hockeybuck, your link did not work. I have it froze now and will decide monday. When I get a little more room, I'm going to try to tan some myself, but not this time. I think I'll start small.

We laid the hide out on the gound to see how we did skinning it and looks great! We got it from ears to tail, almost totaly straight and symetrical.

I'll be skinning out the head and boiling it today. If you have a grill with a side burner and BIG pot. Boil one with salt and baking soda. (NEVER do it indoors though!...s t i n k y !) If you cook them slow with a light boil the teeeth stay in. At least my last on did. Thanks for the links guys!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.