Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live 15 minutes north of Annapolis and I'm looking for a gunsmith. I bought an extended choke, but I am unable to get the original choke out of the barrel. I know, very rookie mistake, I've never taken the choke out and have now learned that I should always take it out and clean it when I clean my gun on a weekly basis during hunting season.

I called a couple places, either they're no longer in business or it will be a two or three month wait until I get the gun back. Can anybody recommend a place I can go to for a quick turnaround?

I've tried everything to get the choke tube out, WD-40, gun oil, etc and it won't budge.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
If the barrel is removable plug the muzzle with a cork stopper or a wine bottle cork. Mix a few ounces of transmission fluid and acetone 50/50 pour enough down the barrel to cover the choke tube threads and let it sit of a day. Dump it out and give it a go to loosen it again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'll give that a go. I've tried submerging the end of the barrel in a few different things, but I haven't tried acetone. I'll let you know if it works, thanks!

·
Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My busines
5,151 Posts
If the ATF/acetone mix doesn't work (it should!) use a heat gun (used for paint removal, etc.) to get its attention. I am not a metallurgist nor a gunsmith and I would not recommend a propane torch.

Rather than using a cork, I would use a jar or similar container and place the muzzle in it. That way the ATF/acetone can access the threads from both the outside and inside of the barrel.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Good luck and please post your results.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, right now I have the tip of the barrel stuffed with a cork, and I poured a mixture of transmission fluid and acetone down the barrel. Its been sitting since last night. I'm going to swing by Bass pro or somewhere else this afternoon to pick up a choke tube tool that h as 4 notches, not just 2, to help get a better grip on the choke tube. I'll let you guys know tomorrow if it works.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The transmission fluid and acetone didn't work. I contacted Stoeger about the problem, they too suggested transmission fluid. The guy at Stoeger said if it didn't work, I could give it to them for $150.00, they would cut the barrel, then re-thread it so I can use different choke tubes again. I looked up the price of a new field barrel and its anywhere from $180.00 to $200.00. I don't know how I feel about this. I know its my fault for not ever taking the choke out for 3 years, but that's the best they can do?

·
Registered
573 Posts
What is the choke restriction on the stuck choke tube? And what are you planning to use instead? If it is just a minor difference, I would not bother to pay the price to change it.
If you can wrap the barrel in some of the rubber shelf liner material and clamp it in a vice, I would try putting some of the rubber shelf material (several thicknesses) on the extended part of the choke tube and get a large pipe wrench to get maximum leverage and try that, If it fails, you can still use it as a fixed choke and buy a new barrel for other choke tubes.
Good luck.
Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts