Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your go to sites to find out about water conditions up there at the boat ramp at Lapidum. I've always used the USGS site for the upper Potomac, but there's not much there on the Susquehanna. I believe there is also a site that tells you how many of the floodgates are open on the Conowingo Dam. Do you have that link? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
If you have an aluminum boat and are going ustream past deer creek you'll need a prop guard because you never know what you'll run into. I used to run a jet but still hit the high rocks. I've been useing the rock hopper motor guard for years and go slow ..

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you have an aluminum boat and are going ustream past deer creek you'll need a prop guard because you never know what you'll run into. I used to run a jet but still hit the high rocks. I've been useing the rock hopper motor guard for years and go slow ..
I was up there yesterday in a small 14 foot boat with a 6 HP motor and noticed plenty of rocks just below the surface even below Deer Creek. That's the reason I want to check the water clarity before I go next time. I would like to take my new boat up there during better water conditions so I was scouting the area yesterday. Water was pretty stained there yesterday.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I was up there yesterday in a small 14 foot boat with a 6 HP motor and noticed plenty of rocks just below the surface even below Deer Creek. That's the reason I want to check the water clarity before I go next time. I would like to take my new boat up there during better water conditions so I was scouting the area yesterday. Water was pretty stained there yesterday.
When you fish it alot and get to know it you will have a name for every rock and boulder like big ass son of ***** and so on good luck 🍀

·
Registered
397 Posts
When you fish it alot and get to know it you will have a name for every rock and boulder like big ass son of * and so on good luck 🍀
That is true. I've been fishing it out of a kayak since the mid 90's when I was the only knucklehead in a kayak out there. Somewhere tucked away, I have an old hand drawn map another fisherman shared with me. Don't even remember who it was. There are names for almost every pile of boulders out there. It shows some of the current seams where you can thread a boat through and get to the dam if you know what you're doing.
I'll see if I can find it and scan a copy.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yes he had had them. But his old man was the river master. Can't remember his name. Cut out of there around dark, shoot up river WOT in a 16 ft jon with hardly any water running. Good ole days. I would get on the river about 8 pm and get home at day break.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I saw a boaetr once from the Dam. He was in a Mceecraft fibreglass boat. He left full throttle back down th river zig zagging therocks like he knew every rock in the river.I would never attempt that

·
Registered
397 Posts
When there’s current you don’t need to know where the rocks are. You just need to know how to read the current. The only times I ever hit a rock running my dad’s 14’ tin boat up there was in pockets of still water where I didn’t know a rock was there until I klunked into it.
luckily he had one of the prop guards from M.R Props and it worked perfectly.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
The best way to dish the Dam is to launch at te Dam in a small sea worthy 14ft. Alluminum boat.or a kayak when no water is running 5,000 cfs . No worries about navigating the treacherous 4 mile run from Lapidum.I've been fishing that ara since the 60s and that's the safest

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
The best way to dish the Dam is to launch at te Dam in a small sea worthy 14ft. Alluminum boat.or a kayak when no water is running 5,000 cfs . No worries about navigating the treacherous 4 mile run from Lapidum.I've been fishing that ara since the 60s and that's the safest
Your not the Lone Ranger back in the 60s we would throw a 14 ‘ in the octarora go up to the wall and catch more good fish then you could haul

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
Your not the Lone Ranger back in the 60s we would throw a 14 ‘ in the octarora go up to the wall and catch more good fish then you could haul
i used to fish there all night with a friend that had a boat stored at the ramp landing and a cabin.on the right going down the hill to the dam.. We would go out in the boat at 9pm after they shut the water off and fish until sun up.,Nights were the best by far for stripes,walleyes and smallmouths

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
i used to fish there all night with a friend that had a boat stored at the ramp landing and a cabin.on the right going down the hill to the dam.. We would go out in the boat at 9pm after they shut the water off and fish until sun up.,Nights were the best by far for stripes,walleyes and smallmouths
So did we but we used rubber inertubes so we didn’t make any noise . Touch a rock with a boat at nite and the fish would spook. Had great times on that river and some scary times.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts