Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father in law has a new house in Kinsale and wants to learn the area. I know the Bay top to bottom but I dont know the VA side of the river or any Ltj spots off Smit Pt. , Reedville. Any recomandations will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Bob Reed, If he can;t do it, he'll tell you who to go with. Hes on TF, think his website is BobAlongCharters.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I fish out of Port Kinsale Marina and mainly troll in the Potomac River between buoy 9 and 7 and some times down to buoy 5. Last years spring trolling was very good and hope to expect the same this year.

Really do not know of any LTJ guides in the Kinsale area. I did some LTJ late summer/fall time frame chasing bird activity around schools of bait and caught stripers and bluefish. Went out to bay and up to the Pt no Pt reef structure and LTJ and caught flounder. Some flounder catching around Pt.Lookout by drifting bluefish strips. Further out in the bay east of the target ship caught stripers casting to bait schools and jigging underneath the bait schools. Mainly used 2oz or 3oz Stingsilvers with a dropper fly about 18 inches above the Stingsilver. Caught Stripers two at a time one on Stingsilver and one on the dropper fly.

From Kinsale area as long as the conditions for running are good, you can fish anywhere in the Potomac River and lower Maryland parts of the Chesapeake Bay and on into the Virginia parts of Chesapeake Bay south of Smith Point.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Whackmaster, Reedville is quite a run by water from the Kinsale area. There's a guy by the name of Tu, boat name Skinny Water and can be found on the Potomac River Anglers Club board. He's close to you and he LT fishes that area with great results.
Also the mouth of the Yeocomico River is a great place to fish. Look for the drop off's and Bars on the chart. The mid channel marker at the mouth of the Yeocomico is what they call the Birthday Cake. Good fishing there too. Careful of the boat traffic.

Mushy
27' Judge Chesapeake
"Getsome"

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey Jeff,

I am new to the Board; just signed up last night. Since I am new I gotta ask, what is a "LTJ"? And I agree, the area around the Brithday Cake has some great Croaker and Spot fishing. Don't want to steal the thread but has anyone caught flounder in this area?

·
Registered
302 Posts
LTJ = Light Tackle Jigging

Flounder can be caught there, and around the Coan River mouth, but not consistently, and not any keepers (at least in the last five years I have fished).

About six years ago, though, I hooked a keeper flounder inside the Yeocomico, off of Krentz's marina! But, that was a Fluke!

(Hardy Har, Har!)

-makoman

PS Cornfield Harbor and PLO are two places nearby to catch the flatties later in the season.

OR if you are REALLY itching to catch a flounder, then trailer down to Virginia Beach and fish off the third island of the CBBT now!

:jackthread:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts