Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a question for some seasoned boat owners. My trim motor on a 50HP Johnson is looking too rusty, like water may get inside it soon. Any advice on what type spray paint / coating to put on it to get some more life out of it with use in saltwater? I attached a pic, hopefully it works. The rust is bad and scaley. I've had the boat for less than a year and cant find any exterior anodes on the outboard, so I'm gonna be sure to add those. Thanks very much in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have a 50 johnson and it looks the same as mine rust wise.Mine is a 2000 and used in saltwater 30 to 40 times a year and so far no problems yet.What year is yours?

·
Registered
294 Posts
to paint it properly it would need to be removed to get ALL of the rust off properly. Larry has the right idea. no problems just use it til it quits, then buy a new one. I apparently doesn't sit in water by the picture. It will be good for a long long time I would bet.

If you are motivated though, places like Eds marine sells OMC color correct paints I believe. But adhesion with any amount of rust, is well, just not gonna work so well.

THere however is one paint that sticks to rust, it is basically epoxy based, it is POR-15. If you get it on you you will have to wear it off. It is NOT a marine paint however, but I bet it would hold up. I painted the frame of a 1972 C10 pickup I restored with it. Believe it or not, It can not be beat off with a hammer. HINT - I am not kidding about having to wear it off. Lacquer thinner even has a hard time with getting it off.
good luck!

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
in order to get rid of all the rust , the trim motor will have to be removed from the bracket, it will most likely take more time & effort than just replacing the trim motor, I would just make sure that the manual release functions ok & run it til it fails & then replace it, it may fail next week or it may outlast the rest of the motor,

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone. It's a 2000 Johnson 50HP twostroke and it is the only obvious severe corrosion on the outboard. I agree it's probably too much work to remove the trim motor or trim assembly from the outboard just to paint it, not to mention the chance of running into other complications. However, its in my head now and I got to do something to prevent it from rusting through soon, or I would be kickin myself if it did fail this summer. I think I'll order the POR-15 super starter kit for 20 bux, mask off as much as I can, and do my best to paint it in place. I just wasnt sure what to use. The POR-15 or something like it sounds better than rustoleum spray paint or galvenizing spray paint. Im gonna wire brush off the loose rust, but try not be aggressive enough to break through what steel is left.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
You may want to also check out annother alternative--the heavy duty corrosion inhibitors
such as CRC Heavy Duty Corrosion Inhibitor or Fluid Film, available in aerosol cans ,I use the CRC brand with good results ,but have also heard of good results from the users of Fluid Film

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh thanks, I didn't think of fluid film. I got some corrosion block spray but I thought that was only good for under a cowling. Wouldnt that or fluid film wash off after a while in the water? The only other idea I had was maybe like some kind of sealant like RTV.. - The good news is another problem I had, a loud clicking sound I was hearing from using the trim went away on its own. I thought it was air in system and had topped it off but it didnt go away.. I think it was caused by the cold weather and the bushings binding up. Now that its finally not freezing cold it works smoothly!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts