Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to good luck my wife and I will get 5 days in a Bethany condo and I would like to fish. I haven't been down there in 15 yrs so any advice would be appreciated. I would like to fish from shore so beaches, bays, or rivers would fit. No boats this trip. I've done Indian river before but the inlet rocks drove me crazy with lost rigs. Is beach fishing allowed in Bethany? I am using medium and light poles and would like to cach fish but size not that important. Finally have some crab lines and nets so a crabbing spot also a possibility.

·
Registered
13,987 Posts
Due to good luck my wife and I will get 5 days in a Bethany condo and I would like to fish. I haven't been down there in 15 yrs so any advice would be appreciated. I would like to fish from shore so beaches, bays, or rivers would fit. No boats this trip. I've done Indian river before but the inlet rocks drove me crazy with lost rigs. Is beach fishing allowed in Bethany? I am using medium and light poles and would like to cach fish but size not that important. Finally have some crab lines and nets so a crabbing spot also a possibility.
This is a Chesapeake Bay forum so you might be better off on the Delaware Bay forum. You can also contact several tackle shops, Old Inlet and others. Sorry I can't help other than that.. Good luck........ Gary

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Have not fished Bethany in a while, but in the past it was open to fishing before and after the lifeguards are on duty. Other times there is too much "bait" in the water.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much. I'll check the tackle shops when I get there and check Del forums.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
How far will you be from Cape Henlopen State Park Fishing Pier? They are doing good on the pier catching flounder, croaker, spot, Afew large trout were caught, also they are catching crabs off the pier. You will also have miles of beach to fish. Great tackle shop right there for anything you need. Good luck Mike. Oh I almost forgot. Broadkill Beach is good fishing from the beach. Log into Facebook

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks so much. Not a bad ride to Henlopen. I know you can't drive on the beach without a permit. Is it a long hike from parking to the pier? Broadkill looked good but much further. Liked the facebook site with the fishing pier so that may be my spot.Never crabbed off a pier but if its low enough I have the lines and nets in my car. Started off as a trip to fish the point at Hatteras but due to family health issues I need a shorter run back to Rockville if problems pop up.

·
Registered
13,987 Posts
If you fish Henlopen Pier, you will need a long bridge landing net to get fish up. You can fish the beach right next to the pier also. You can fish the Thelma Dale IV out of Lewes too. It's a big head boat...... Gary

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've never been shy to ask folks to borrow a landing net when I fish in Florida. Since I rarely keep the fish most fishermen are happy to get some fish in trade for quick net loan.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I've never been shy to ask folks to borrow a landing net when I fish in Florida. Since I rarely keep the fish most fishermen are happy to get some fish in trade for quick net loan.
Mike that's what I do. Call for help and the pier rats will come with their drop net. You ask, is it a long walk to the pier from parking lot. NO, the parking lot is right at the pier and so is the good tackle shop. really looking forward to these reports. Have fun! One more thing. It cost $10.00 to get in the park. But well worth it.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Short walk is great so I don't have to put my cart in the car. If the temps and rain cooperate I'm ready.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks so much for all the great advice. Crabbed Assawoman park my first day based on advice from tackle shop. Beautiful marshland. After 10 quick crabs all just slightly short I figured season just starting. Did Henlopen pier today and it was well worth the ride. Using bloods got a variety of croaker,spot, and perch mostly small but most casts got a fish or crab. Never caught more sponge crabs on a fishline.Cut up the spot and got a nice size ray. Not the cownose ones on the bay but it had a long serrated tail. By noon the heat drove me home. Looking at the ferry and the lighthouse made a nice background.Lastly advice on fish timing helped. You can fish the beach in Bethany when there are no lifeguards on duty and yes its posted in the rules board. Restaurants are good downtown and had ribs and gluten free crabcakes at Bethany Blues .End of day requires a thunderstorm watch since they have been fast and strong.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
How you like that pier Mike? I really like it. If I lived closer that would be my hang out every morning. Did you see any flounder caught. I caught flounder there by walking the pier with a Gulp minnow on a jig head close to the pier Not casting just walking the jig. Thanks for the report. I'm glad you got to check the pier out.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Didn't see any flounder. A lot of the fish were near the pilings but so were the crabs. I've fished a lot of piers and this one is one of the nicest including the bait shop right on the end. Lots of breaking fish, swirls, and fish oil on the surface were good omans. Not at all crowded. Someone with a crab trap could clean up. I always like piers where a skate or shark get a swarm of kids. Finally they had a guy with a golf cart who would pick up folks in the parking with mobility problems and drive them with their chairs and equipment out on the pier to fish.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts