Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a decent baitcaster this year. I have narrowed my choices down to the Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier for $80, or the Shimano Curado G for $100. I will primarily use this reel for jigging around the Bay Bridge area. I fish about 2 days a week, I used baitcasters at the end of last year's season, but I am no expert with them, and I have never worn a reel out.

Thank you, and good luck with this snow.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
You are gonna hear alot of stuff here. BPS baitcasters at that price is an excellent deal (i got one thats still strong at prolly 10 yrs with many 40 plus fish on it though I use it mainly for topwatr) but Shimono Curado at that price is even better. For jiggin I would recommend open face for the sensitivity. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
26,108 Posts
Stop in at Marty's in Edgewater.

One of the employees - Mike ? ( damn I'm bad with names ) is expert on baitcasting reels.

He'll ask you how you intend to use it - then help you get right one and correct line for it.

I picked up a nice ABU / Garcia. He showed me how the flipping lever can be used for deep water LTJ. The lever puts reel in free spool but engages when thumb bar is released. Cool feature I never would have known about without being told.

Local baitshops may / may not be lowest price but you get benefit of the staff knowing you and them going extra mile in customer service.

Prime example: Last year I broke a 5 year old St. Criox rod. Owner of local shop knew how much I liked the rod - offered to loan me one while mine was being replaced under warranty. I had spare rods but hell of an offer - I won't forget.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
"I picked up a nice ABU / Garcia. He showed me how the flipping lever can be used for deep water LTJ. The lever puts reel in free spool but engages when thumb bar is released. Cool feature I never would have known about without being told."

The flippin' switch is a real plus if you are jigging-especially over dropoffs and humps. Works equally well for drifting bait also.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
You can take an old working reel to BPS right now during the Spring Classic and get a PQ for $65.
Picked up 3 of them today.
Do a Google search. Reviews I have read were all positive on the PQ.
CarbonLite (a step down) not so good and the JM Signature Series not much better to warrant the extra cost over the PQ.
Have used the PQ spinning rod/reels for many, many years and have been satisfied so I thought I'd give the Bait Casters a go.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I need a decent baitcaster this year. I have narrowed my choices down to the Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier for $80, or the Shimano Curado G for $100. I will primarily use this reel for jigging around the Bay Bridge area. I fish about 2 days a week, I used baitcasters at the end of last year's season, but I am no expert with them, and I have never worn a reel out.

Thank you, and good luck with this snow.
If you go with the Curado, be aware that it is on sale fo $100 on Saturday March 15th only, after the reel trade-in deal is over.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I was told the PQ's were made by Pflueger years ago when I bought. I pulled the schematics and they seemed to be dead on with Abu's base Revo, minus the drag stack. The PQ's I own do not have carbon drags, but do not slip and get the job done around the bridge.

·
Registered
884 Posts
For jiggin I would recommend open face for the sensitivity. Good luck.
Whuuuuuut? Please explain? You lose sensitivity with the 90 deg offset of the spool. On a baitcaster the line comes off the spool directly and through the eyes of the rod. If sensitivity is an issue, use braided line and a quality fishing rod. The reel is the least important factor in that category.

·
Registered
11,105 Posts
The most sophisticated baitcaster on the market today is the Shimano TE DC.It will spin up to 30,000 rpms with a mini computer built in to control backlashes by controlling braking pressure at 1,000 th. of a second to adjust the spools rpms through the delivery of the cast.It is built metal free for saltwater corrosion control.It carrys a MSRP of $269. fish.shimano.com

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa_T3_Ballistic_Casting_Reels/descpage-DT3B.html

Spend a few extra $$'s and get something quality... These are amazing for the price, and they are on sale. They'll cast a BKD a long long ways.

BPS reels are made in China by Tica. The drag is horrible. If you have need parts, good luck.
Heck, they're all made by someone else and the drag isn't horrible. If you need parts, take it back for a brand new one.
I don't disagree with upgrading at some point, but the original poster wanted a decent reel for the bridge. For $65.00 I'm in.

·
Registered
5,368 Posts
I have two of the Shamano Calcutta's 251 left hand and love them. They may be more than you want to spend but it's a quality reel. No junk here. Talk to Tony at Tochtermans.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Let's talk about what a baitcaister needs to do for Rockfish in the bay.

1. Good Drag - nope
2. Cast light lures long distances- nope
3. Not rust apart- yes

For $70 bucks they're a great buy.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Let's talk about what a baitcaister needs to do for Rockfish in the bay.

1. Good Drag - nope
2. Cast light lures long distances- nope
3. Not rust apart- yes

For $70 bucks they're a great buy.
A quality drag and the ability to cast light lures are THE 2 most important things in a baitcaster. Wouldn't you want to be able to use the same rod/reel to cast for reds and specks in shallow water? How about casting smaller topwater lures for rockfish? There's more ways to catch a fish than to drop a 1 oz jig over the side of the boat. I want a reel that can do it all.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts