Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am off monday because of the 3 days you can take off after loosing a loved one. Anyway I haven't crabbed in weeks. WX looks good but winds don't. Looks like some parts of the Patapsco will be doable even with CBOFS showing WNW 5 - 10 and going to 10 - 15. The spots I wanted to try in Eastern Bay aren't as sheltered and CBOFS has that area blowing more. My question is should I just hit the Patapsco and I'm not sure if I want to bait up the snood line only because its a pain to pull in and move due to no electric puller if the crabs aren't where I drop the line. On the other hand I could thaw some larger necks and take the traps which are alot easier to move around. When I do traps I usually put 15 shallow ( 5'-8') and the other 15 with a little bit more line in (8' - 10')

What sayeth the board, have they moved past the 10' depth, I usually don't chase them deeper than that. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
John- sorry about your loss- wish I had the answer for you. Crabbed Sunday morning in the Magothy anywhere from 3 to 10 ft running 20 traps. After about 5 runs and only 6 keeper crabs to account for the effort I was done for the day. Crabbed the same place we did two weeks ago when we caught 5 dozen.
Caught a bunch of 3 to 4 inch crabs today. Back to the Rockfish

Russ

·
Registered
825 Posts
John,

Sorry for your loss. I also was out on the magothy, near the mouth, and did only a dozen in 2 hours (26 traps, water temp mid 50's). Crabs are deep. Almost all came from 15 ft, none from less than 12. Too much effort for too little. I think I'm done for 2008. This time of year, you may want to stay close to home cuz the few reports from ebay have been pretty dismal.

db

·
Premium Member
26,227 Posts
FWIW: The crab pots off Hacketts are moving out to 20 and 30 feet.
Saw a trotliner in the Severn on Thursday - he did not seem to be dipping too many.

I've seen crabs (#1) for $39.00 a half bushel.Might be better to go fishing and buy crabs on the way home.

·
Registered
14,254 Posts
John, I hope your memories increase and your pain decreases. Plasticfish got a bushel in the Chester. he was using traps and I think that is definately the way to go now. You might want to bmail him for location and depths. I also think 15-20 feet is your best bet now........Gary

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rtyler - thanks, too bad the crabs weren't there

dogbig - thanks, still gonna do a combo trip on the Patapsco, hopefully I'll get some

skip - that sounds like a great price when you think about getting up real early, all the work involved and all the setting and pulling of traps

Gary - thanks, I'll try my 6'-8' and 9-11' traps and see what I get.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts