Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys and dolls posted this on the va. board but not many posts..thought id try here ....my father just bought a 2004 trophy 18 ft cuddy wa ..has a merc 2 cycle 125 hp saltwater series on it...the problem is that in the water that motor purrs like a kitten ...very smooth, but out of water when pumping fresh water in to it it runs rough....any one have a clue?? thanks in advance..mike

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'm guessing when it's idleing it coughs some. Well, every carbed motor I've seen does that when on land. Some seem to clear up when they get warmed up. I think it has to do with no back pressure on the exhaust.

- Dae

·
Registered
9,010 Posts
If I remember right some of the 125 mercs cut out certain cylinders below a certain rpm.Also like Dae said,those motors[2-strokes] need back pressure from the water resistance to idle properly.Any adjustments need to be made with the Motor in the water.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dae....lone ranger ...yall hit on exactly what i was thinking ...no back pressure...guys thanks for putting my mind to ease ...tight lines and take care...mike

hail 68 ...78..79... tizzy lish....once again thanx...mike

·
Registered
397 Posts
My 1999 Merc 200 bluewater also idles rough on start up with a hose. But it smooths out alot when the temp gets around 160.

Mark
1999 Sportcraft 230 C/C

1 - 7 of 7 Posts