Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased two Okuma 6'6" inch trolling combos, rated 14-40lb line. Purchased them at the Tackle Box in Lexington Park, MD prestrung with 40 lb mono. I'd like to use them for some late season striper trolling and some Bluefish/Mackerel trolling down in So. MD. Any recommendations on rigs to use? Should we use the #1 planers to help get rigs down?
New to trolling so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
141 Posts
So far, I am a fan of Spoonbrella Spreader Bars from Captain John Whittman. Google them. What name besides Okuma is on the rods? What reels? What cost? I am looking as well. Thanks.

Aaron

·
Premium Member
26,149 Posts
If you plan to use # 1 or #2 planers - I'd add 150 feet of 50 lb braid on top of mono. Planers are set 30 to 100 feet behind the boat most times so that is enough braid - easier on wallet.

The braid will also help you get lures deeper with less in line weight - often summer Rock will be down 15-25 feet.

The planers will work great with small Clark or Hopkin spoons. Most use 20 -25 foot leaders with ball bearing swivels. I like 15 feet of 40 mono - ball bearing swivel - then 10 feet of 30. The 40 is easier to grab and less likely to tangle then 30. If tough bite - I'll go with 7-8 feet of 20 flouro as leader.

This rig will catch Blues , Rock and Spanish. 3-4 knots for Rock / Blues , 5-6 for Blues / Macs , and 7-9 for just Macs.

In fall - bucktails or 6 inch swim baits ( Storms ) fished deep often get nice Rock. Use in lines of 8 to 20 ozs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Aaron,

Okuma Sea Demon combo. Purchased at the Tackle Box in Lexington Park, MD fully rigged. $89.99 for the entire combo.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
27 Sailfish,

Just to be clear, is this the set up you're recommending:

mono running line + 150 feet of 50 lb braid +planer+15 feet 40 lb mono+swivel+10 feet of 30 lbs mono+lure

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mono as your backing

27 Sailfish,

Just to be clear, is this the set up you're recommending:

mono running line + 150 feet of 50 lb braid +planer+15 feet 40 lb mono+swivel+10 feet of 30 lbs mono+lure

Thanks
Matt
The mono will serve as your backing on the reel. Then add the 150 feet of braid on top of that. You will run a leader to your planer with 15 ft of mono and swivel and another leader from planer to lure with 10 ft of 30 lb mono.

My 2 cent interpretation

:))

·
Registered
514 Posts
Have been fishing planers in the Potomac lately with great success. To make it clearer run #1 planer out 100' and # 2 planer out 50-60'. Most stripers have come on the #1 lately.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Capt. Bob Reed, do you mind sharing what baits you are pulling behind your diving planers in the Potomac for rockfish?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chazrt,

Ehhhh....really? I looked up some pics of rigs on line and they all recommend 25 ft of of 20-25# mono leader tied to the planer (via a swivel or snap swivel). The braid is tied to other side of the planer. 27 sailfish says use 15 feet of 40# mono +swivel+ 10 ft of 30# mono as your leader.

Can someone confirm?

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
885 Posts
What 27 Sailfish said is the right advice, and the swivel in the leader (I like a bead chain swivel or small ball bearing swivel) would let you pull a drone spoon or hose behind the planer without the leader getting spun. I go up 10lb on the leader, but my boat pulls hard.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I run #40 mono on reel straight to coast lock swivel attached to #1 planer, about 2' of #80 mono to good quality black ball bearing swivel (to help prevent bite off at planer) then 20' of flouro to spoon. Same set up for #2 planer, but braid on reel to planer instead of mono. #1 planer 100-150' back, only run #2 planer 30' back. Has worked well for blues and macs.
What Sailfish said about speeds is dead on. Good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On the previous page, 27sailfish recommended tying 150' of braid to mono backing on a reel. How to you tie the braid to the mono? Knot or swivel?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have been using this know with good success.

Run 150' or so of mono onto the reel. Then overlap a 3' length of so of braid against the mono. I tape the tag end of the mono to the spool of braid to make it easier to keep everything together. As you tie the overhand knot and subsequent wraps through the loop you create, you just pass the spool of braid through the loop each time. Hopefully this makes sense.

This knot also works well for tying mono leaders to braid and casts thru the guides like its not even there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does anyone only troll two rods at a time? We just got into this so I'm not sure we want to use more than that just yet.

·
Registered
502 Posts
great thread here. I use an improved cinch knot attached to a slim in line swivel (SPRO) to connect the lines. Have not had any failures. I'll have to try your knot. looks pretty easy.

Thx

1 - 15 of 15 Posts