Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The MD regulation states the following;

The $40 CBSPBL is valid as a Recreational Crabbing Boat License. The complimentary fishing license issued to the boat owner of a licensed sportfishing boat is valid as the owner's individual recreational crabbing license.

Since my father is retired, I am renewing the registration, and purchasing the $40.00 license. My name is on the registration as the co-owner. My question is... Do I still need to purchase the recreational crabbing license to run 1000' of line?

Thanks in advance.

Don.

·
Registered
861 Posts
The $40 sticker allows you to use the 1000' trotline and keep 1 bushel of crabs on the boat.
If you want to keep 2 bushels of crabs, one other person on the boat will need to buy the $5 crabbing license. I've been buying an additional license for my wife ever since the law started, to allow us to keep 2 bushels if we wanted.
Others are going to say that the complimentary license you received with the sticker allows you to keep the extra bushel on the same boat - I believe they are wrong. The complimentary license allows you to go on another boat and be entitled to keep a bushel.
Regardless of the proper interpretation, $5 is cheap insurance to be in compliance with the Law and much cheaper than a fine.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The complimentary license has nothing to do with a crabbing license to be used on another boat.........it's only a complimentary fishing license, or to fish tidal waters from shore. It cannot also be used for non-tidal water fishing.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Neighbor Dave is correct,
according to the latest 2006 rules the complimentary license issued with the pleasure boat sport fishing sticker is also a recreational crabbing boat license and also the individual's recreational fishing license and the individuals recreational crabbing license

From the DNR website
The $40 CBSPBL is valid as a Recreational Crabbing Boat License. The complimentary fishing license issued to the boat owner of a licensed sportfishing boat is valid as the owner's individual recreational crabbing license.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I hate to go against the experts but for now I'm with Mickie on this question; one license, one bushel. I was waiting to hear from Neighbor Dave after he comes back from the meeting tomorrow to see what they said. If not I'll send a letter to the DNR myself asking for clairification. They may take a few days to get back to you with an answer but they always do.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Since my father is retired, I am renewing the registration, and purchasing the $40.00 license. My name is on the registration as the co-owner. My question is... Do I still need to purchase the recreational crabbing license to run 1000' of line?

Thanks in advance.

Don.
No...... you do not have to purchase a crabbing license to run up to 1200' of line...........
The license on that boat allows ONE crabber.....either you or your dad....the "rights" of a crabber with a license from a boat.... one bushel max, line limits etc................

Again I say the MAX is 1200' of trotline.........

Tony

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
See my latest post about the Proposed Regs for 2007.

Even DNR admits that they have a matrix (Cheat sheet) developed for their customer service line to answer peoples calls because it is so confusing.

Chris

·
Registered
861 Posts
The below is from the DNR website:

CATCH LIMITS FOR A LICENSED BOAT:
- Without any persons in the licensed boat who also possess an Individual Recreational
Crabbing License;
1 bushel of hard crabs
2 dozen soft crabs or peelers
- Owner of the licensed boat in the boat with unlicensed crabbers;
1 bushel of hard crabs
- If 2 or more licensed persons are in the licensed boat;
2 bushels of hard crabs

Here's the whole summary:
The current license structure and fees are:
$2 for a holder of a Chesapeake Bay Sportfishing License
$5 for a resident
$10 for a non-resident
$40 Chesapeake Bay Special Pleasure Boat Sport Fishing License (CBSPBL)
A new license for a Recreational Crabbing Boat established at a fee of $15
Closed Wednesdays - except handlines and dip nets or pots at private piers
Recreational crabbers may set recreational crabbing gear and crab from boats:
during Apr, Oct, Nov and Dec
between 1/2 hour after sunrise to 5:00 PM main Bay
between 1/2 hour after sunrise to sunset in tributaries
during May, Jun, Jul, Aug and Sept
between 1/2 hour before sunrise to 5:00PM in the main Bay
between 1/2 hour before sunrise to sunset in the tributaries of the Bay
Recreational crabbers may not set recreational crabbing gear and crab from boats on Wednesdays except handlines, dip nets and pots at private piers.
Minimum Size (No minimum size for mature females): APRIL 1 - JULY 14 JULY 15 - DECEMBER 15
5 " Male Hard 5 1/4" Male Hard
3 1/4" Peeler 3 1/2" Peeler

The minimum size for soft crab is 3 1/2 inches during the entire season.

INDIVIDUAL CRABBING
A license is required of an individual who uses the following gear or takes the following quantity of crabs:
Trotline (1200 feet of baited line maximum allowed) floats must be the same size, color and shape
11 to 30 traps or rings
Up to 10 eel pots for own bait
More than 2 dozen with a limit of 1 bushel of hard crabs
More than 1 dozen with a limit of 2 dozen soft crabs or peelers
A license is NOT required of an individual who uses only the following gear and takes the following quantity of crabs:
10 or fewer traps and rings
dipnets
handlines
No more than 2 dozen hard crabs
No more than 1 dozen soft crabs or peelers
OWNER OF PRIVATE SHORELINE PROPERTY
Creel limits vary depending on whether the crabber is licensed or not - see Individual Crabbing information above.
2 crab pots from a private propoerty or pier or within 100 yds of shore and attached by line
Two cull rings required in upper chamber
One measuring at least 2 3/16"
One measuring at least 2 5/16"
Turtle Reduction Device no larger than 1¾" x 4¾"
CRABBING FROM A BOAT
A recreational crabbing boat may be licensed
The fee for a Recreational Crabbing Boat License is $15
The owner of the licensed recreational crabbing boat is also issued a complementary statewide Individual Recreational Crabbing License
The Chesapeake Bay Special Pleasure Boat Sport Fishing License (fee of $40) is valid as a Recreational Crabbing Boat License.
CRABBING GEAR
If the boat is licensed for recreational crabbing by either the Recreational Crabbing Boat License (new at a $15 fee) or the Chesapeake Bay Special Pleasure Boat License or at least one person in the boat possesses an individual recreational crabbing license:
1200 feet of trotline (baited portion)
Maximum 30 crab traps or rings
Handlines
Dipnets
CATCH LIMITS FOR A LICENSED BOAT:
Without any persons in the licensed boat who also possess an Individual Recreational Crabbing License;
1 bushel of hard crabs
Owner of the licensed boat in the boat with unlicensed crabbers;
1 bushel of hard crabs
If 2 or more licensed persons are in the licensed boat;
2 bushels of hard crabs
CATCH LIMITS FOR AN UNLICENSED BOAT:
Without any licensed persons in the unlicensed boat;
4 dozen hard crabs
1 dozen soft crabs or peelers
One licensed crabber in the boat alone or with unlicensed crabbers;
1 bushel of hard crabs
2 dozen soft crabs and peelers
If 2 or more licensed persons in the unlicensed boat;
2 bushels of hard crabs
Special Note: A person less than 16 years of age is exempted from needing a license but, unless they purchase a crabbing license, they are restricted to the same limits as an unlicensed crabber.
Possession of soft crabs and peelers by anglers and charter boats: No limit for possession of soft crabs and peelers for use as bait for the purpose of sportfishing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts