Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going back to MT (where I grew up before coming in the Army) to a wedding, and want to take a couple of days to fly fish. I haven't fished there since I graduated from college and came in the Army in 1975. A lot can happen in 31 years. So...I'm looking to book a guide sometime during the last week of Jul or the first week of Aug. The wedding is in Chico Hot Springs (Paradise Valley, south of Livingstone and north of the Park).

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have used Matt Greemore at Flatline Outfitters in Twin Bridges several times. He has guided us on the Beaverhead, Madison, and Big Hole Rivers. He works very hard to get into fish and we've always had a great time with him, even when the fishing was slow. Check them out at www.kingsflatline.com.

shanks

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Found this MT river link. Looks like a good place to start. http://www.bigskyfishing.com/River-Fishing/River-Fishing.htm

While in high school in Billings, I fished above Red Lodge, Roscoe, Fishtail, and Nye in the Custer National Forest. I was at Mystic Lake above Fishtail the day that Armstrong landed on the moon. While at college in Bozeman, I fished the Gallatin, Jefferson, and Madison (stayed away from the Yellowstone because of the crowds). If I was 30 years younger and about 40 lbs lighter, I'd climb back up to Canyon Lake North of Cooke City. Oh what I'd give for a time machine to take me back about 35 years. :(

·
Registered
166 Posts
I haven't fished around Redlodge for some years but If I was in your waders I'd go back to the Fistail area and fish the Stillwater above Nye. There are some nice brownies in there and August will be hopper time. My favorite fly on the "STILL" is a partridge & orange wet fly #12 with a pearl bead head. Looks like an emerging caddis that comes off 1 hour before dark. Talk to the preacher at Nye, he has private water below the bridge.

Emerald Lake at the inlet is always good for rainbows and huge whitefish.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Got this tip from the President of the Ford's Colony Fly Fishing Club (outside of Williamsburg, where the Admiral and I purchased a lot): http://www.watersedgeoutfitting.com/?cnid=43628 Apparently they organize trips back to MT every year. This one has done them well, while some, have been duds.

Anyone hear of them? If they are good, say it here. If they are bad or ugly, please b-mail.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hi Dave,

Be careful of the guides out there. Seems like everyone is from somewhere else, just out of or still in college or guides summers and works the ski slopes in the winter! Our first float trip was fun; but, more like a Disney boat ride than a fishing trip.

That being said, we also stayed in a cabin at the Slide Inn on the Madison River (near West Yellowstone) and loved the convenience of going out the door to fish and fishing Hegben Lake, etc. You don't need a guide to find fish here. We had so much fun that we went back on our second trip and booked a float with one of their guides. Outstanding! This guide was a real fisherman and the trip was outstanding. In fact, we ran into several guys at the ramp that floated the same day and didn't catch anything or only caught whitefish. We caught trout...and lots of them! Kelly Gallup has a great operation and we will probably go back again.

And don't forget to fish the park! It's not that far from where you are to go into the Park at the North entrance and then head East. Fish the braids, etc. Great fun all the way and go to Cooke City for lunch!

Have fun!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I forget to mention the Callibaetis hatch on Hebgen in the Madison Arm in August. You can rent a boat at the Arm and get out on the water at sunrise. Blind cast a gold ribbed hare's ear on 8 pound tippett until the hatch starts (loud slurping-boils). Then switch to a 6 pound tippett and fish a Klinkhammer Special emerger, huge fish. When the spinner fall starts around 10 AM switch to a Callibaetis spinner and get another hour of slurping action. By lunch it's Miller Time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Guide recomendation

I have been fly fishing in MT every summer for the last 15 years. Sometimes I have used guides and sometimes they are good and sometimes not so good. I highly recomend using Charlie Conn. (406) 222-3550 412 S 7th St,Livingston, MT 59047. I think this is his home number. As you can see Charlie lives in Livingston, and is a full time guide. In the winter he goes to Mongolia to guide for taimen.

article on taimen http://outside.away.com/outside/destinations/200509/fishing-mongolia-6.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts