Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Went out again today mostly off Occaneechee ramp 2 and quickly saw that the gulls/terns were having a field day. Following advice from the BISC, I tried to get into position to drift close to the birds. Other fishermen with trolling motors were into the breaking fish and having a ball. I lucked out and caught one using the drift float with a live shiner that Ramrod demonstrated a few weeks earlier. Lots of fun even though the striper was only a 20 inch throw back.

Could someone tell me what artificial ya cast into the breaking fish? I don't have much tackle, but I do have a 3/4 ounce jig with added green worm that I thought was intended for downrigger trolling. What type of tackle is used to cast into breaking stripers? Spinning?

A fun day and I'm looking forward to doing it again tomorrow if the weather permits.

Regards, Joy T Brew

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi All,

Went out again today (Thursday) off Occaneechee, but the fish didn't cooperate. When the did flock over fish, they were immediately surrounded by a dozen boats that seemed to come from all directions. Didn't get close enough to see what was being caught. WE just moved a similar distance from the shore and hoped the stripers would move in our direction. Not having a trolling motor is a bummer, but with such a great day, enjoyment was the option.

Looked to me like most of the boats had fished together previously from the way they surrounded the fish.

While we floated with the live minnows, I tried to teach my daughter to cast spinning equipment. She's learning quickly! Maybe one day we'll be able to cast into some breaking stripers!

Regards, Joy T Brew

1 - 2 of 2 Posts