Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now we have a Garmen Fish finder that's working pretty good.

We have a 20' open bow boat and have been going out at night more. Radar is not practical for us but we were thinking about getting a GPS to help us navigate the unlit cans and bouies at night. I realize this still won't help with floating logs, crab traps etc.

Looking to spend around $600 give or take. Any recomendations? Should we get a mounted one or a handlheld? We also kayak so a handheld might be nice for that.

Thoughts on GPS in general? Thanks in advance for ALL info! :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just purchased the Lowarance hds5 elite gps and it is great. The chesapeake bay maps are preloaded and it has a 5" color screen that is pretty easy to read. It has been a tremendous help fishing this year because it shows depths, markers, and also the contour of the bottom. BPS has it for 599.00 and Boe Marine in Stevensville has it for like 549.00

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome! Thanks :)

I just purchased the Lowarance hds5 elite gps and it is great. The chesapeake bay maps are preloaded and it has a 5" color screen that is pretty easy to read. It has been a tremendous help fishing this year because it shows depths, markers, and also the contour of the bottom. BPS has it for 599.00 and Boe Marine in Stevensville has it for like 549.00

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
For a straight GPS go with Garmin hands down. Not sure what models are in that price range. I'd go with a mounted unit. Screen just too small on a handheld, at least for me, unless you plan on using on the kayak a lot. Garmin=GPS/Chartplotter Lowrance=FF. If they could merge the two it would make a perfect unit.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
HDS-5 is a great unit and is upgradable for weather and side scan sonar.
Lowrance also posts free software upgrades on their site from time to time

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.