Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I have been a long time reader and this is a first time post in the fly section. After my first time laying my hands on a fly rod just two weeks ago on a trip to Big Horn I returned with serious fly fever. I have the opportunity to get to Belize on the 19th and of course jumped all over it. As of today and thanks to Mastercard and basspro I am the proud owner of a brand new TFO BVK 9 wt. I hope to catch a bonefish on and a few rockfish later in the year.

I plan on a guide in Ambergris Caye for a day or two and some DIY outings and wanted to know if any one could recommend somewhere to pick up a few flies before my trip. Unfortunately I do not have the time or the talents as of yet to tie any.

attached a few pics of my trip to big horn and look foward to meeting and fishing with some of you. thanks for the info.

Attachments

·
Registered
738 Posts
Where do you live? Call your local fly shop first. If there is a bass pro in the vicinity they my have some flies that would work. Probably too late to order online. You can take down a general assortment of bonefish flies, but I would call down and speak to your guide and get a recommendation on patterns and size. I'm no expert on bonefish, but they can be selective. It would be a good idea to know some popular patterns for the place you plan to fish. Small shrimp patterns such as gotchas will probably work anywhere. Be sure to have an assortment of colors, weights, sizes etc...

·
Registered
127 Posts
I surely do miss the trout routine. Light rods, bead heads and ant flies...

Anyways just wanted to give you a nudge towards learnign to tie your own when you get back. Saltwater flies are WAAAY easy to tie for the most part.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts