Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to coles point plantation and fished over the weekend. This is my first time trying to catch the big stripers. I have been watching the board and reading as much as possible trying to get myself prepared for the trip. I bought 2 tomic lures and had no luck with them. I dont thing I was getting them down deep enough. I was trolling in 25 to 30 feet of water. How do I get the tomic lures down deep? I did see a 42 inch striper caught on Saturday. (NICE FISH)!

Can someone give me some advice on boat speed,lures to use, and technique for the coles point area.

THanks

·
Registered
843 Posts
I use Tomic lures with a 4oz bucktail as a weight out about 200-275 feet. The Tomic I used during spring trolling caught some nice size fish on the Tomic and the bucktail. You could always use a bucktail or drop sinker with more weight. I have some bell shaped sinkers that are 28oz and bounce sinker on bottom once or twice and troll near bottom, just don't get into water that is shallower than where you started. This past Friday and Sunday the fish I caught were on the Stormbrella umbrella rig I used (no fish on Saturday). No weight and out 175 feet. I know it was not very deep at all. Tandem parachutes or bucktail jigs work good this time of year. Most of these rigs I use are a combination of 6oz & 3oz and white or chartreuse colors. Use a 3 way swivel with heaver lure on 5-6 ft leader and smaller lure on 10-12 ft leader. If not catching, adjust the amount of line the rigs are out behind the boat.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I Agree with dave. Glad to hear you got em on suday. We did'nt make it back out on sunday due to other engagements.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Biggest mistake early in the season is trying to get baits too deep. Yes, a bait toward the bottom is good to have, but concentrate your baits in the top 20 feet of the water column. Get them away from the boat. Long lines with no in-line weights and boards are the ticket early.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts