Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Cutco Fishermans Solution ( CUTCO Cutlery: Fisherman's Solution Product Details)

Love the extended blade feature. Love the knife in general. BUT, as with all good things, it has lost it's edge. ( Thanks to Phil and his darn Mackeral)

Anyway, I just don't know how to sharpen it. Tried the stone that came with it, nada. Tried another stone that I bought at Depot, nada. There's probably an " art" to it, but I'm just too stupid.

Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
861 Posts
I got some of those small white shapeners that you mount to your cleaning board and it works great on my fillet knife. It's rectangled shaped and about two inches long. It has a small "V" shaped notch with sharpening blades that you can replace when worn. I have them on the boat, at home and at work. Their small and work great. Sorry I can't think of who makes them. I'll see if I can find it.

Mushy

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
CUTCO says for 6 bucks they will put the edge back on it.If the blade is stainless it can be difficult to get the edge back .

·
Registered
50 Posts
I also have a Lansky system and it works well if you have a lot of time to put in to it. Once your knife has a decent edge use a accusharp sharpener best thing on the market IMO.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,298 Posts
I second the Lansky System that Pete suggested. I have a bunch of sharpening systems and most cost more than the Lansky. The lansky is the first one I bought and the one I always go back to when I want a really sharp blade. The first honing takes awhile but you can get a blade you can shave with and you can touch it up with a few swipes. THe down side is that you have to spend a couple of minutes setting it up and cleaning it.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
I sharpen all knives with an India stone and use WD 40 to keep it clean. It is sharp when with light pressure it will shave the hair off your forearm. The key is to keep the blade at the same angle throughout the procedure.

I agree Cutco knives are not very good--all hype and no sizzle. When we were first married and had little extra cash, a Cutco salesman came to the door to sell us a whole system of knives for the home. He did his demo cutting different things. I took out a carving knife I made from a power hack saw blade and duplicated all the things he did. He did not know what to say and sold no knives that day.

With a fish like a striper that has a tough hide, I use two knives. I do not like to cut through skin, scales and bone with the knife that I use for the fillet. A pointy stiff Normark pro knife with the black composition handle is used for cutting through the hide across the head and down the back. Then a Forschner 40613 thinner more flexible knife is used to cut the fillets. This knife glides through the fillets and makes them very smooth.

I do not keep many fish anymore but have filleted thousands of sea trout and stripers in the past. The two knife system works extremely well. After a filleting session the knives are touched up on a fine red India stone.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Send the cutco back for a knew edge. When you get it back sell it on Ebay. With the proceeds buy 3 knives that you can apply a new edge to when they need it.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Just look at what every mate and fish cutter uses at the dock . 9 out of 10 use Dexter-Russel . Inexpensive , easy to put an edge on quickly with a stone . I used to fillet a few hundred seabass , tog , flounder , etc. in a day and that's all I use . A cheap sharpener like the one posted by Mike Burgess and a cheap stone from the local hardware store and you're good to go .

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Brian,

I'll 'third' the Lansky system. It's a bit of a hassle to use, but does an excellent job of bringing the edge back.

I also have one of these for honing the edge between sharpening:

My parents got a set of Cutco knives as a wedding present in 1962. Two years ago, I heard about the "forever guarantee" and the sharpening service and told my dad to send them in. When the knives came back, they looked brand new. The handles were polished and the edges were perfect. They even ground out the broken tip from when my brother stuck it in the dock while cleaning a flounder in 1978 or so. The only hitch was that they decided that Mom's parer was beyond hope and they sent her a new one. They had discontinued the model and sent a different style. Mom went ape-****. My dad had to buy one of the old style parers off eBay. Now the only problem is that the matching potato masher, icing knife, and carving fork have handles that are faded looking in comparison to the knives.

·
Registered
764 Posts
The only way to put a razor edge back on a hardened steel blade is with a good set of diamond hones. A set in the 300-600-1200 grit range will cost you $80-100. It does require patience and time to do it right.

I would not use such a knife for the bull work of cutting through bones and scales. As already mentioned above, get a good utility knife and a regular stone for that. I use a 12" Sanisafe fishsplitter for removing rock fillets from the backbone and a 8" thinner bladed knife for skinning.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Cheap but decent knife = a lot of fish filleted . I just can't see spending alot of money on a fillet knife . Sending it back ? Are you kidding me ? Forget Rapala as the blades will rust out at the handle and break . You can't go wrong with a $22.00 Dexter-Russel . 8 or 9" narrow fillet for most fish , 8" medium for the larger , 10" breaker for really big fish and tuna and a 6" boner , just so you can say you have one .:D:yes: Sorry Chili , I had to steal the crack you gave me that day we were cleaning tog with SteveF in OC .:D

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
My Daughter sold Cutco knives one summer. I have the Fisherman's Solution. It is a great knife to keep on the boat for cutting bait. When I purchased the knife I also purchased the sharpener Cutco makes. I keep the knife touched up after every fishing trip. The stone on the back of the plastic case is almost useless. It is set flush with the case and requires you to damage the case to properly hone the knife, but it will work in a pinch and can be used as an emergency hook sharpener.

I have a Dexter-Russel filet knife at home that I use for fileting fish. I have a diamond sharpener I use to keep it sharp.

The next time you see the Diamond Sharpener sales guy at the fishing shows, he is usually at Timonium, have him show you how to put an edge on a knife. He does a pretty good job of teaching how to sharpen a knife.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I own a Cutco Fishermans Solution ( CUTCO Cutlery: Fisherman's Solution Product Details)

Love the extended blade feature. Love the knife in general. BUT, as with all good things, it has lost it's edge. ( Thanks to Phil and his darn Mackeral)

Anyway, I just don't know how to sharpen it. Tried the stone that came with it, nada. Tried another stone that I bought at Depot, nada. There's probably an " art" to it, but I'm just too stupid.

Any suggestions ?
Brian, I have the same knife and while I was filleting fish with captain kyle a few weeks ago a fillet started to slide off the boat so I stabbed it and my blade went SNAP. Its in the mail, they are giving me a brand new one. Send it back to CUTCO, like someone else said they will sharpen the knife for 6 bucks plus shipping. OR if the knife happens to break somehow they will give you a brand new one.;-) Mine is in the mail. Love the knife

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Just look at what every mate and fish cutter uses at the dock . 9 out of 10 use Dexter-Russel . Inexpensive , easy to put an edge on quickly with a stone . I used to fillet a few hundred seabass , tog , flounder , etc. in a day and that's all I use . A cheap sharpener like the one posted by Mike Burgess and a cheap stone from the local hardware store and you're good to go .
You said it. Every mate I knew, myself included, used the cheap Dexter-Russel with the wood handle. We would wrap the handle with nylon cord of some sort for a better grip... those knives only got better as the blade got ground down after an entire season. Thousands & thousands of fish cleaned every year on the same knife, sharpened with a cheap ole stone... the only thing you will ever need.

Posted that same info in this board a few years back, but as usual, people didn't care because we weren't talking about $$$$$ knives. Only $$$$$ knives can clean fish....

As for keeping a knife sharp. A stone with oil (or water) is the only way to go. It takes a long time to learn & is quickly forgotten, but no other way will get as clean of an edge.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts