Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The regs here in New Jersey are not friendly to gun hunters (only 5 day season), so I want to get into bow hunting for deer. Lets just say the only thing I know about bows is that you put an arrow in the string, pull back, and let it go.

I'm looking to get equiped with everything I need to get started. Can you guys help me out and list items I would need? Not looking for top of the line bow, but want one that I won't get tired of after the first season. Thanks.

Fred

·
Registered
2 Posts
slowpoke go with muzzleloader (lot easier than bow) depending on what zone you hunt you'll get anywhere from 13 to 63 additional days in the woods. with that said, bowhunting is extremely rewarding when it all comes together and you harvest an animal. anyplace that sells archery equipment will help you get set up then it's practice, practice, practice before you hit the woods, good luck!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Slowpoke, Do not do it yourself if you know nothing about bow's, do not go somewhere like walmart and buy a bow. Find someone thats been into bow hunting for a long time. Take them with you to a good sporting goods or archery shop in your area and let them tell you what you need. Your wallet is your guide as to how top of the line you want to go. To many people start with a cheap department store bow that is worth nothing to anyone after you find out it wont shoot like you want it too_Or buy a old used bow from someone thats already moved up to a better one. Save yourself some money in the long run and do as i say , not as i did.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Slowpoke -

I just started bow hunting 3 years ago. I went to Bass Pro and picked up a nice Darton, as well as sight, quiver, arrows, broadheads, etc and probably totalled around $450. The guys there installed the peep sight for me, taught me how to use it in the practice range, and helped me sight in. They were very helpful. There are many places that can set you up though - remember you can get something decent without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
558 Posts
SOME REAL GOOD ADVICE HERE. BASS--HUNTER SUMS IT UP. GO TO A FEW LOCAL BOW SHOPS AND GET A FEEL FOR YOUR PRICE RANGE AND QUALITY. DON'T OVER SPEND IN CASE YOU FIND OUT BOW HUNTING ISN'T FOR YOU. TALK TO BOWHUNTERS. ONCE YOU HAVE MADE YOUR BUY, PICK A FULL BODY DEER TARGET AND PRACTICE FROM AN ELEVATED PLATFORM OR STAND. TAKE NOTE OF THE ANGLES AND RANGES. PRACTICE , PRACTICE, PRACTICE.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Find a reputable Archery pro shop in your area. These people will
fit the bow to you. Arrows will be cut to the proper length. Your bow will be timed, etc. It'll shoot like its supposed to and you'll enjoy it more. Also, find a good archery fundamentals book and read up about form, and mechanics.
If you have problems, just post a note to us and we'll help.

hook1

·
Registered
135 Posts
Personally, I would avoid the large chain stores for the purchase of the bow itself. I'm not saying that you won't find a good bow tech at one of them, but your chances will be slim. The big stores may have a better price by 10-25%, but you will pay that and more in your time w/ frustrations due to improper tuning. Worst thing is, because you'll be a rookie, you won't even know your bow isn't tuned right, either, until you shoot w/ a seasoned veteran that can pinpoint the issues for you. Find a trustworthy Mom and Pop and let them set you up right - it will make a huge difference. Ask if any of their techs competition shoot or regularly hunt. Be sure they have a range for you to shoot it on the spot so they can make the adjustments right there. Request a paper tuning shot if available - they'll know you're serious then. The paper tear will tell the truth about the tuning.

If you really want to save a few dollars, then you can buy your accessories from the bigger places ahead of time - sight, quiver, rest, case, etc. But, do NOT buy the arrows ahead of time - the right arrow is going to be based on the bow, draw weight, and your physics (draw length, etc.) Buy at least the first 1/2 dozen arrows from the place you get the bow (don't be afraid of the carbons). Lancaster archery in PA is an excellent source for great quality at great prices. They would be the only bigger store I would trust w/ a new bow setup, too.

The bottom line is you are making an investment - set your budget realistically, and then make the most of it. Make good purchasing decisions and you will not be disappointed. Bowhunting will totally change the way you hunt - including gunning. Prepare yourself to love hunting even more than you ever have before!

Last note, if you don't already do so, get into scent control - you'll need those deer to get a lot closer to you now. Trust me, it works.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I went to a small archery shop in Harford Co. MD. The guy worked out of his house. I bought a hoyt bow, and rigged the bow with silencers, quiver, sight, etc. I spent around 600 with the arrows. I could have gone cheaper, but I had the money to spend. Awesome service and the bow was almost sighted in when I picked it up.

I would do it all over again, instead of a chain store. Also, most little shops will tune up the bow for you as long as you own it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
STUMP, A FEW YEARS AGO MY STRING BROKE ON OPENING DAY WHILE I WAS PRACTICING IN THE MORNING. RAN DOWN TO A FELLA RIGHT OFF OF 152. HE REPACED MY STRING RIGHT THERE AND I WAS ABLE TO HUNT THAT EVENING. DONT REMEMBER HIS NAME BUT I THOUGHT HE WAS GOING TO CLOSE UP. I WONDER IF THAT IS THE SAME GUY? NO ONE ELSE HAD TIME TO SERVICE ME.

·
Registered
558 Posts
STUMP,

I THOUGHT HE WAS CLOSING UP. NICE GUY AND HE TOOK CARE OF ME. I'LL HAVE TO STOP BACK IN. AUTUMN SKY OUTFITTERS IN STREET, MD ARE ALSO GOOD. THEY WONT SELL YOU SOMETHING YOU DONT NEED OR PUSH CERTAIN ITEMS ON YOU. AGAIN, THEY WILL SERVICE YOU RIGHT ON THE SPOT MOST OF THE TIME.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I know it would be a drive, but call Len at Macrotech Archery just outside of Baltimore MD. Best bow shop around...will set you up, show you have to shoot at his indoor range, fit the bow to you. You will walk in without knowing what to do, walk out shooting a bow well enough to go home, practice a few weeks and go hunting. Good luck...Ken (22 yrs of bowhunting experience)

·
Registered
576 Posts
I know it would be a drive, but call Len at Macrotech Archery just outside of Baltimore MD. Best bow shop around...will set you up, show you have to shoot at his indoor range, fit the bow to you. You will walk in without knowing what to do, walk out shooting a bow well enough to go home, practice a few weeks and go hunting. Good luck...Ken (22 yrs of bowhunting experience)

·
Registered
576 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
If you are out at Andrews go down to Fred's in Waldorf and ask them to help you out. Earl is the guy I deal with and he is as knowledgeable as they come. I have been bow huntng for 30 years and he know his stuff. Also go to Archerytalk.com and read some of the threads. That is the best site out there for bow hunting. Also a great palce to buy a used bow that is set up with everything you need. My only recommendation is to buy the best quality you can afford. There is a lot of differnce in bows. All compounds are not created equal. If you need any advice bmail me.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Stumpknocker and Ryason I think the person your talking about is a guy name Jim from Family Archery. I use to go to him a few years ago. He did some tune ups and I normally bought some arrows from him. Not a bad guy to go to if your local.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.