Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have to do a major trailer overhaul and I need to get the boat off for few days. What do you guys do in these situations? Id like something secure and not overly expensive. Ive got to do brakes, springs, and a couple of tires. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
i made my own new bunks and did a brake job at owls creek a few weeks ago in the parking lot with a generator. dropped the boat in and tied it up at 0900 - sat there all day while we were working on the trailor till 4 pm - now the days are longer you got 3 more hors than we had at the time.

new leaf springs & bolts are next

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Ive got an 18parker , trim motor up , push boat off untill you can put a bail of hay under each corner of the transom, pull ahead with trailer while someone pushes boat off or tie the boat back to a ststionary object to keep it comeing off the trailer. Right before it comes all the war off the trailerput some 2x6 under the keel . Winch it back on while someone backs the trailer as needed. All this is assumimg you have a roller trailer. works great.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use Locks Park off of Battlefield Blvd in Chesapeake. Portsmouth Trailers is about 6 miles away if you end up with unexpected parts problems. Two of us changed out axles, hubs and could have replaced the leaf springs in less than five hours. You might check to see if you can overnight your boat inside of the actual lock. I did about five years ago but they could have changed their policy.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Try posting a question to someone who has a pier or dock and ask if you can tie up for a day or so, I think you could find someone on this board who will help you out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Lower the tung all the way down and block the back of the boat, raise the tung all the way up and block the bow, lower the tung and you can replace bunks ect. no weight on trailer.

·
Registered
474 Posts
My boat is on the trailer and my slip at Taylors is open. If you need the slip for a week or so there is NO CHARGE just let me know thanks rick

·
Registered
221 Posts
If you leave it in the water while you do the work don't forget to put the plug in the boat, for some reason I found this out first hand that this will cause a problem.:D

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Man you guys are the best. Thanx again for all the great advise. A very special thanx to Rick and Jake. Hope to get this thing done over the weekend and get to pullin to the pullin.

·
Registered
610 Posts
WOW!!! that what i to see brothers helping out brothers (tidalfish brothers) and people say the world as gone to _____. i dont think so!

thanks for keeping it good

toby

·
Registered
874 Posts
if you are close by ( im at the beach) I have 4 of the things that are for haul out- screw/jack things that lift your boat, i dont remember what they are called- to put your boat on- you are welcome to use them if you like-

1 - 15 of 15 Posts