Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My unit is old, was a cheap unit when I bought it, and seems to transmit when it feels like it. I'm not really trying to spend over $200, possibly $250, but need some suggestions on what units and features you all like. I do like the idea that some units will monitor more than one station. Thanks for the help.

Bill

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I will be looking for one myself soon

Let me know if you get one, mine is on the fritz as well. I have to pound it on the side to get it going, then it will work for a while and then switches channel ands comes disconnected partially.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Bill -

I've got a Standard Horizon Quest-X 1500 and like it. One of my requirements for a VHF was a knob to change channels (rather than up & down push buttons). I think most radios today have programmable scan - where you pick which channels to scan and ignore the rest - - so that's a nice feature, too. It has the full DSC capabilities and interfaces with just about any GPS unit on the market.

If you replace your radio - make sure your antenna, cable, and connectors are just as good as your new radio. I think the Digital brand antennas perfrom very well. The antenna cable connetor is often the weakest link in the system - make sure it's a quality connector and installed properly. :thumbup:

·
Registered
438 Posts
I bought a Uniden with the hailer built in this past summer and love it. $199 at Boaters World. It gets great reception and is very clear has allot of options for not allot of money.:yes:

·
Registered
643 Posts
Hey Bill, Overtons had a raymarine 48 last week on closeout at $79...Looks like it meets your criteria...

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
mine is on the fritz as well. I have to pound it on the side to get it going, then it will work for a while and then switches channel ands comes disconnected partially
Maybe you need to hit it harder.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
ICOM with a digital 8' antenna. Check out some of the boat shows comming up. You can usually make some good buys then.

·
Registered
837 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Standard Horizon. You CANNOT beat their customer service! Top quality stuff. I have the Quest with dsc. Under $100 shipped.

3 year waterproof guarantee! After that fixed rate for life.

Here's a couple for $99 shipped. Black or white... I think I paid around $90 for mine a few months ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STAN...3260717QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Standard-Horizon-Eclipse-DSC-VHF-Black-or-White_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQitemZ110299773600QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I second calling BOE Marine for advice, they know their electronics and pricing/service can't be beat. They helped my choose my handheld a couple years ago and it's been great, much cheaper than anywhere else too. :thumbup: Andy

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks so far for all the info guys........I really dont keep my VHF on often.....gets under my skin after awhile.......But I want one that I can count on in an emergancy. I had an antena issue a few months back and replaces the antena with a $100 Shakespeare 8' antenna......The very next trip, the radio transmitted fine....for about a week. I can hear everyone talking but when I transmit, people reply, that I am breaking up. I am not really aware of the different "Bells @ Whistles" features on radios, what really is the difference between a $100 and a $200 radio? Are there different power levels or is the $ difference just more gagettry? Thanks

Bill

·
Registered
68 Posts
Besides being an excellent VHF radio, this one has FM stereo radio, loud hailer, track your buddy feature, uses nmea 2000 to network with the gps chart plotter (or nmea 0183)

Around $179. I have used them all, Icom, Standard, even Raymarine.
This one is really nice.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
ICOM 304. Has both hi and Low power. It can hook up to your GPS and TX that info to the coast Guard on "MAY DAY" call. cheap and clear.

TED

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
Standard Horizon. You CANNOT beat their customer service! Top quality stuff. I have the Quest with dsc. Under $100 shipped.

3 year waterproof guarantee! After that fixed rate for life.

Here's a couple for $99 shipped. Black or white... I think I paid around $90 for mine a few months ago.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STAN...3260717QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Standard-Horizon-Eclipse-DSC-VHF-Black-or-White_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em20Q2el1116QQitemZ110299773600QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear
Be careful about ordering electronics from ebay. Many of the distributors arent certified distributors which could be a problem if you need warranty work and you cannot produce a receipt from an authorized dealer. Besides, locally owned and operated BOE Marine has the same radio for $88 ;-)

STANDARD HORIZON :: VHF FIXED MOUNT :: COMMUNICATIONS :: MARINE ELECTRONICS :: BOE Marine

One of the reasons I like standard horizon is that they have a 3 year factory warranty..

The matrix is $167 and the Quest x is $133 at BOE. I have had them both and they both were great.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts