Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help from Virginia anglers. There is a petition to Abolish Nets on/in Maryland's Chesapeake Bay and it's Tidal Tributaries happening. We've had some many incidences of poaching with nets not only this year, but over the last several years that enough is enough.

In less then a week there are already over 800 signatures, even if you are not from MD you can sign this petition. You can get a full update on the movements in this post on the Maryland Forum

A direct link to the petition is here

Please sign and pass on to everyone you know that enjoys, fishes or cares about the Chesapeake Bay.

Note: This is not an anti commercial fishing, but a grass roots movement targeted at abolishing nets as a gear type. More states along the coast have banned nets and the fishing has improved for everyone.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Would sign it, but I live in VA.
It does not matter where you live. Stripers are migratory. Look at the signatures. There are some from CT and ME.

If you believe it would be good to get the nets out of the Chesapeake Bay in MD, you should sign it.

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FinFan

Let me put some perspective around the 246 number. At 6pm tonight there were around 50. There are over 800 paper signed petitions. The petition via paper got started Saturday. The online started this afternoon. I'd say over 200 signatures online in about two hours is not bad and a good indication of how many we can get to sign it.

Please pass the word to everyone you know.

Thanks
Brandon

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys! The petition was put together and is being circulated by a fellow Tidal Fish who took it upon himself to make it happen given all the poaching going on with nets in Maryland. He is just in collection mode right now, at some point they will be used in an effort/strategy to get nets banned. Maybe something VA and NC should think about. If nets were banned in VA and NC the menhaden issue would be taken care of as well. Kill two birds with one stone.

All it takes in one person to put it together in VA and NC. The petition template is already done. Something to think about.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Signed, I think I was #2582 somewhere in that range! Let's keep it going!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts