Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am sure it has been thought of but have to ask. I believe that gill net size determines size of fish caught in net. Could the size of the reduction fleets nets be sized so as to allow only the older/ larger fish be caught?

Would this be a reasonable request inside Va waters?

I believe menhaden pawn offshore, correct? so this would not be issue?

Edit: That is (S) pawn offshore , They use most any pawn shop.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I am sure it has been thought of but have to ask. I believe that gill net size determines size of fish caught in net. Could the size of the reduction fleets nets be sized so as to allow only the older/ larger fish be caught?

Sorry, but Virginia needs to join all of the other eastern seaboard states (except N.C.) and ban the taking of menhaden within state waters. That is the only positive solution to resolving this problem. If all the other states have banned the taking on menhaden in their state waters, there must be good reason for Virginia to do so also. Omega could get their quota of fish in the EEZ waters instead. It would cost them a bit more to do so, but would still be very profitable for them.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree , I just wonder how much more the bay has to decline before it does.
Knowing politicians, I do believe that there may be a "Transition" period

·
Registered
3,608 Posts

The reduction fleet uses purse seines not gill net;, given the nature of purse seining (capturing fish without entangling their gills) it may not be an option to increase the mesh size to release smaller fish.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seine_fishing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillnetting

1 - 5 of 5 Posts