Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
That was good. :D
Years ago I was trolling near #78 in mid January and it was foggy with 1/2 mile viz.My boat at the time did not have radar.A boat hailed us over the VHF and wanted to know what we were doing circling the marker.I explained we were fishing.He asked me to head east (shallow) to avoid trouble.I told him it didn't matter because my lines were deep and close to the boat.He told me he could not go east.I asked "how big is your boat ?" He replied 375'.My buddy said the look on my face was funny as sh*t.As I turned to go east-we hooked up a good fish.At the same time we see the outline of the ship.The ship passed pretty close.We got the fish in but thought for sure the ship would cut the line. Skip

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Skip, I had a similar experience a couple springs ago... went out one foggy day off of Hacketts and started trolling East from the green can... it was real foggy but I had a gps chart plotter and figured I could stay well out of the shipping channel.

Started hearing a low grumble... didn't think too much of it until I heard 5 short horn blasts pretty close by... I was wondering who they were aimed at when suddenly a tug and barge heading north came out of the fog no more than a 1/4 mile away... scarred the b-jesus outa me so I turned hard to port and circled back around to head back toward the can...

... no more then 5 minutes later I got ANOTHER 5 short blasts from a south-bound tug and barge... hit the brakes and watched as the big boat went by... realized then and forever that gps is NO substitute for radar in the fog...

... made my way back to the green can, pulled the rigs and high-tailed it for home... I'm sure there's a couple captains out there grousing about "that damned fishin' boat who didn't know where he was or what he was doin' in the fog"...

... lesson well learned! :))

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Larry-most regular guys who buy $$$$ radar will tell a similar story.Most of us have had 1or more (many more) close calls and realize radar is not just a cool looking toy.Saved my a$$ a few times. Skip

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I;ve yet to run into such a situation. Granted, radar would be nice, but, considering I don't have a hard top/arch, it would cost me an extra $1200+ in addition to the cost of the radar. So I think I'll just stay out of the shipping channel while its foggy. And that includes both the eastern AND western channels.....:boat:

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
I said the same thing. If you do get caught in fog-try to buddy up with a boat with radar.If not -get into 20' or less of water.This way it's only small boats to play dodge with. Skip

1 - 9 of 9 Posts