Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 23 sea ox cc with a 2000 2 stroke 200hp suzuki, It wont go in forward gear (just grinds) probably needs a new lower unit. Sooooo I am considering a repower. I am thinking of dropping to a 175 4 cylinder to offset the weight gain of a 4 stroke should still be enough power. So the question is Yamaha or suzuki. Any advice, experiences, good dealers, deals. I am torn up about having to buy a new engine especially in this economy, but what can you do I can't fish the boat running in reverse.

any info is appreciated

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
See if you can make it go into gear by moving the shifter with your hand.

Run the motor in the driveway and take off the cowling (cover).Have a helper try to shift it into gear.

CAUTION : Keep your feet AWAY from the prop :eek2::eek2:.

You should see an arm moving-this is the shifter.It moves back/forth by cables.By GENTLY pushing it by hand-it might engage the forward gear.If it does- you only need to adjust the nut on the forward cable.Sometimes cables get worn.There is also an adjustment under the shifter on the console if you run out of threads at the motor.

Keep us posted if that fixes it.Good luck :yes:.

I once fished a boat for a day by shifting by hand.Not too safe/smart but it got the job done.

·
Registered
332 Posts
As for the deal, I had the engine changed out in Wanchese North Carolina for far (thousands) less than the Maryland folks wanted. Six year warranty to boot. Don't know what the warranty situation is today.

·
Registered
264 Posts
sorry to change subjects but while were talkin motors, i got an 80 gallon tank on my boat, should i try to leave it empty for the couple months i dont use it and put some of the ethonal sta bil in it or keep it full? any advise

·
Registered
35 Posts
Suzuki Lower Unit

I agree with everyone else, make sure the adjustment isn't out of whack first. Would hate to spend $15K+ for a motor when you can fix it with a 20 min adjustment.

Also, if you are interested and it would work for you, I have a spare lower unit of a 1998 Suzuki that is in good shape. I think it will work for you if you're looking to just replace the lower with another.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Seadog - you'll get 100 differant answer about the fuel.It is best if you can run it very low - then add Star Tron.This will stabilize the fuel plus prevent the E-10 from seperating.Be sure to double the dosage for lay up.

Come springtime- fill up with fresh and run that tank low.Change out the filter and then fill back up.

Just heard a good tip.If you can trailer your boat each month a few miles-this will help slosh the fuel around and help keep it mixed up.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Maybe a 200 hpdi? I think they are still available. I doubt they weight of a 4s would be a big issue though. Go with whatever gives you the best deal and best service availability. The local dealer might put you at the back of the line if you go elsewhere to save a few bucks...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Go suzuki, with Dannys on 50 in east new market. 5or 6 miles east of Cambridge.Great people to deal with.410-228-0234 is there number. He lives behind there shop it is a small family business.I called him during my break in and he walked me tthru a problem of ice on the trim switch while i was on the water.next purchase will be there also. 06 225 4 stroke on 23 foot proline center.

·
Registered
51 Posts
been there-whatever you do-start with the small stuff like sailfish said-I had the same problem on my 200 merc.and if my neighbor hadn't been curious I would of replaced lower and still had the same problem-the shift linkage retaining screw backed off and would not go into gear fully.Hope that is all it is-good luck.:thumbup:

·
Registered
227 Posts
#4 endorsement for Danny's...............I purchased a DF300 for my 24 footer this time last year....staightshooters, fair deal, rigging & service
has been excellent and reasonable.....if they can fix your shifting issue....they will..............the 4S Suzuki has been awesome.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Make this the #5 endorsement for Danny"s ... bought my DF300 from them in Dec 07. Love the motor, uses 1/2 the fuel my 225 Evinrude . Danny is a straight shooter, nice people to deal with, and he'll fix your old motor if you want. Thought the motor installation was was clean ... very pleased, can't recommend them enough.
Danny's was actually recommended to me by a guy in FL .. so Danny is highly though of up and down the coast

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for the advice,
Unfortunately I tried the shifter cable and engaging by hand. In fact that is how the problem started. I bought the boat used this spring backing into the slip a few days later the shifter cable comes off in reverse. I come ahead to kill my way and just go faster astern (throttle cable still attached) All this happens in about 2 seconds, luckily I run aground before smashing the bulkhead could have been bad. I take off the find the problem, I notice the clip is screwed on as tight as it will go and has been cut off to make it even shorter and looks like it was clipped on backward. I reattch it and try to put it in gear it just grinds I can't figure it ou try it about 5 times (bad Idea this is where the damage was done) eventually I put it on backward the extra half turn makes it work. I used it al summer like that but it would always grind before it engaged evenn by hand, two days a go it stopped engaging all together. Anyway It is goig on the trailer today to goto Danny's we shall see. Thanks afain

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
let's hope it is the cable!
if you end up looking at new motors and if weight is or may be an issue try looking into a Mercury OptiMax.

all of the performance of a 2-stroke (faster out of the hole and better top end than 4-strokes), only slightly heavier than a 2-stroke & much lighter than a 4-stroke and has the economy & emissions of a 4-stroke....NO SMOKE!
and very quiet!
maintenance costs are much lower, too.

to each his own but they are certainly worth a look if you plan to repower.

good luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts