Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the worldwide concern about the terrible situation ongoing in Japan, the media is sometimes scrambling for nuclear power relates stories to cover.

A report that came out this morning with a ranking of the inherent risks the 65 US nuclear power plants. They looked at things like proximity to a fault zone (e.g., there are 2 California plants very near the San Andreas fault), near huge population centers (Indian Point, NY is within 50 miles of 17.5 million people in the NY City area, and near a fault line to boot), frequency of hurricanes and tornadoes, closest volcanoes, age and size of plant (older and larger were considered riskier), etc.

The good news is that Calvert Cliffs came out as the 55th riskiest on the list of 65...clearly near the end of the list we want to be at!

The article is at
http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-...ower-plants-ranking-americas-most-vulnerable/
and there is a link there that explains their methodology.

I'm not claiming this is the best study in the world, but at least I like CCNPP's ranking !

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
That's the good news. The bad news is that it Calvert Cliffs Reactor #1 is same exact model as those currently melting down in Japan, the GE Mark I, which is of much lesser construction than more modern plants. Chances of earthquakes and tsunamis are certainly much less in MD. Nuclear safety experts have been highly critical of the design of the GE Mark 1 for exactly the reason that we are now witnessing.

·
7,173 Posts
I'm going to be watching it closely for leaks

·
Registered
12,450 Posts
Very dangerous reactor. The Atomic Energy Commission is recommending you stay at least 50 miles away. :thumbup:
I heard 100.....and you're not supposed to take any pics of it anymore either...national security...

·
Registered
533 Posts
:high5:Bad news is the North Anna river plant in Virginia is number 8 on the list. Definitely within the 200 mile area of the bay and surrounding area. Destruction is emminent, fish like hell brothers.

·
Registered
697 Posts
The bad news is that it Calvert Cliffs Reactor #1 is same exact model as those currently melting down in Japan, the GE Mark I, which is of much lesser construction than more modern plants.
This will no doubt come as a great shock to Constellation Energy, since Unit 1 (and Unit 2) is a pressurized water reactor (not a boiling water reactor like the ones in trouble in Japan). It is also not a GE reactor, but rather a Combustion Engineering reactor. The turbine and generator at Unit 1 were from GE, but not the reactor.

·
7,173 Posts
I like joking around but I feel terrible for the people of Japan having lived there. This is really, really bad.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I like joking around but I feel terrible for the people of Japan having lived there. This is really, really bad.
I couldn't agree more, this is something you don't wish on anyone. I was more poking fun at the crazies in this country, just a matter of time untill they show up in force, there is already a run on the anti-nuke pills in spite of the warning that they carry high medical risks. And not to make light of the threat that nukes pose, but then driving around Washington has its risks too.

·
7,173 Posts
This will no doubt come as a great shock to Constellation Energy, since Unit 1 (and Unit 2) is a pressurized water reactor (not a boiling water reactor like the ones in trouble in Japan). It is also not a GE reactor, but rather a Combustion Engineering reactor. The turbine and generator at Unit 1 were from GE, but not the reactor.
That's good to know. The TV news report had it wrong because they pinpointed Calvert Cliffs as being the same one.

·
Registered
533 Posts
The way I read the article, construction was just one of several things taken into consideration in the rating of plants.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I wasn't commenting on the article or the rankings, just providing correct information about CC Unit 1. People are nervous enough, so there's no reason to make them more so.

Mr. Rockfish, what news station put out the info you cited? That's almost gross negligence given what's going on.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I was stationed in Misawa for a couple of months. One of my fondest memories of Japan is walking down the street and turning around to see a group of small children following me, pointing and laughing. At 6'4" in uniform, I guess I looked like the jolly green giant to those kids. I never had to buy a beer the entire time I was there, either. I echo your thoughts toward the people of Japan.

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Here are spot burning photos of two southern MD fishing hotspots that I got to visit on the same day back in 1999 as part of a technical field trip. Keep in mind that this was before 9/11, and the rules on where visitors could go and what we could see and photograph were more relaxed.

Water Sky Horizon Bridge Ocean
Water Cloud Sky Water resources Fluid

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Not to trivialize the risks that nuclear energy poses, but as we see with the high mercury content of most fish that we catch, or the ecological destruction from mining, or the risks with deep water oil exploration, the risks posed by nuclear seem more acceptable. KWK and others are far more knowledgeable than I, but my basic understanding is that we've advanced by leaps and bounds in nuclear safety design and technology since the time that the troubled reactors in Japan were built. And the events that lead to the Japanese disaster were extraordinary, to say the least.

·
7,173 Posts
Jeff - No question. kwk - I don't know which news station I was watching and I believe that nuclear energy is a good thing, it's just that we need to learn from such horrific events like the latest one in Japan and apply lessons, maybe second guess vulnerabilities vs. trusting everything at face value. The BP fiasco would be another example of what can happen when you are all-trusting. I'm fairly confident that the risk is very minimal but if something goes wrong, the cost is astronomical to life and economy. I've been around too long and seen too much to just accept everything I'm told. http://somd.com/news/headlines/2011/13446.shtml

·
Registered
697 Posts
Goose knows that I'm an advocate for coal, nuclear, natural gas, wind, solar, tidal, biomass, geothermal and pretty much anything else that needs to be built and generates electricity ...

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Goose knows that I'm an advocate for coal, nuclear, natural gas, wind, solar, tidal, biomass, geothermal and pretty much anything else that needs to be built and generates electricity ...[/QUOTEWould you be an advocate for all of that if it were pro bono?

·
7,173 Posts
Let me throw a future scenario to ponder. 10 years from now the United States is challenged by one of many emerging world superpowers over one of our strategic interests or partners... let's just pick Taiwan as one of those nagging problems. In the previous 10 years, we built 25 more nuclear reactors all over the United States but primarily in high population areas along the coastlines, where our US population is largely concentrated. Those coastlines, including this area also contain other high value military targets. I'll stop there because you're all smart enough to know where I'm going with this. It won't take a tsunami or earthquake to create nuclear holocaust. http://www.missilethreat.com/archives/id.29/subject_detail.asp

1 - 20 of 29 Posts