Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen the new blue cat regulation? Hawkeye over on the VCA board says a person can only possess 1 blue cat/day. I tried the link he gave and all I get is attorneys advertising. I looked up VGIF and found so many regulations that made it hard to follow. It did say they were considering a 2 fish (20" lenght limit). Anyway I would appreciate it if someone has the correct scoop on the mater, posting it. By the way I think it's a good idea, hope it's true. The tournaments can be adjusted to accommodate the new rule. Thanks.

moe

PS I also saw where you could have a 20 cat limit for blues,channels,and flatheads. Don't ask me where I saw the 2 fish 20" limit I've been through so many regs. that my brain is about to explode.[grin][grin]

PPS I read Haweyes post wrong. Sorry bout that. He states that you can have one over 32". I thought he meant all catfish reguardless of sieze. It's still a good thing.[excited]

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Moe, all you had to do it copy and paste the link. Geeese! Here is the line that pertains to catfish.

"New statewide creel/length limit for blue catfish will be as follows: "only 1 blue catfish per day longer than 32 inches."

Here is the link to the changes. Lots of stuff going on.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/regulations/new.asp

See if you can manage to click on the above link!!!![grin]

Dayton

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
This new rule effectively ends my tournament carreer. Since I seem to only catch fish when I am by myself, now I can't keep two fish.

Oh well.

Dayton

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the link that Hawkeye gave and all I got was a bunch of junk out of it!

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/regulations/new.asp

Maybe my search engine isn't worth a ****..... maybe you have super duper searcher, I don't. Like I said all I got was advertisements for lawers.

MOE

PS Crapp! I clicked on the one I just gave off of my post and it worked. Maybe it used tfs' search engine. Anyway I'm in the same situation you are. You only catch them when you're alone and I only catch fish over 32"

[grin]

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Dayton,
Use a couple of your multiple personallities and you can weigh 3 fish.[grin][grin][grin]

moe

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I just emailed VDGF the following. I will post any reply I recieve.

"Just read the upcoming regulation changes. I would like to know if the new 1 fish over 32" limit applies to commercial fisheries as well as recreational? I support the change and am concerned over the amount of fish taken on the James river by commercial fisherman. I also hear second hand accounts for heavy trotline use on other Virginia rivers. I hope that the new regulation applies to all that work or enjoy our Virginia rivers.

Thank you for your time and response.

Dayton

·
Registered
88 Posts
Will Become Effective July 1, 2006

Game/Sport Fish Regulations

Length limits for bass will no longer exist for Lake Anna, Beaverdam Creek Reservoir (Loudoun County), Chesdin Reservoir, Occoquon Reservoir, and Appomattox River (only the statewide 5 per day will apply).

James River upstream from the 14th Street Bridge in Richmond will have the "no bass 14 to 22 inches, only 1 bass per day longer than 22 inches" regulation.

New River from Fields Dam (Grayson County) downstream to West Virginia will have a "no bass 14 to 20 inches, only 1 bass per day longer than 20 inches" regulation (does not include Claytor Lake) and a "1 musky per day, no musky less that 42 inches" regulation (does include Claytor Lake).

Buggs Island (Kerr) Reservoir including upstream sections of Staunton and Dan rivers will have new striped bass split-season creel and length limits: Oct 1 - May 31, 2 per day, no striped bass less than 26 inches; June 1 - Sept. 30, 4 per day, no length limit.
Smith Mountain Lake including an upstream section of Roanoke River will have new striped bass split-season creel and length limits: 2 per day all year; Oct 1 - May 31, no striped bass 26 to 36 inches; June 1 - Sept. 30, no length limit.

Philpott Reservoir will be added to reservoirs that have a "no walleye less than 18 inches" regulation.

New statewide creel/length limit for blue catfish will be as follows: "only 1 blue catfish per day longer than 32 inches."

Meherrin River, Nottoway River, Blackwater River (Chowan Drainage), North Landing and Northwest Rivers, and their tributaries plus Back Bay will have new regulations as follows: striped bass - 2 per day, no striped bass less than 18 inches;

American and hickory shad - 10 per day in the aggregate, no length limit;
anadromous alewife and blueback herring - no daily or length limits.

[excited]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts