Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend is looking to buy a new 17'-18' Center Console. He is looking at the Key West and the Sea Hunt. We went to Ed's Marine and Sea Port today. Any advice or opinions about these two boats? Thanks for any and all input.

·
Banned
36 Posts
My friend bought a 20' Sea Hunt CC with a Yamaha 115 Fourstroke. Great boat overall, takes the seas well, and we have caught MANY a Striper off the back. If your friend is fishing the bay or ocean, go 20' or bigger.

·
Registered
78 Posts
eds is good on price but don`t ever plan on takeing something for service. sea hunts are cheap boats had one and buddy of mine still has one while they are fairly dry they will beat the snot out of you both mine and his have had the corner crack were the transome and gunnels meet. I am not a fair weather fisherman nor is he so the 20ft boats got rode hard and put away wet but if it is going to be a river boat the it will work out good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got a 17' Sea Hunt and really like it. It's great for river fishing, but you have to really pick your days for the bay. If the waves are 2' or more, forgetaboutit. I agree the 20' would be a much better bay boat.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Contact Brett at Master Marine at the Jamestown Marina. He is a Regal boat dealer and has a sweet 18' Mako (late model) he took on trade. I'll bet you would get a lot of boat for the money.
He may have it online but I saw it on it's trailer out in front of the ship store. 757-810-0163 tell him Ric sent you.
It's worth a call...

·
Registered
913 Posts
my folks have the 20' sea hunt with the 115 yamaha from eds and they love it so far , they just got it last spring. i have the 20' tidewater or the 196 rather from eds with the 140 suzuki, i got it last july , i would say personal preference is a must but i like the tidewater better than the sea hunt .... for me it just has prettier lines and is a dry ride , it will handle rough water well but its gonna be rough inside the boat to . with the 140 my boat will run 40+ , most of the time i dont but it has plenty of power. the sea hunt with the 115 seams a little under powered just getting on place ..... i really like both boats just my .02

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 22' Walkaround Sea Hunt purchased from Ed's. We live in VA Beach and finding someone to service it was a challenge at first. Airtime Watersports is treating us very well now. If you lean towards the sea hunt, I'd take a look at Norfolk Marine to compare prices. If they can get you close to EDs, it'd be worth it in case problems arise later on.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have a 2005 20' Sea Hunt with a 150hp Yamaha(3/4 curtains) and haven't had any structural problems so far in the thee years I've owned it. I think about any Center Console 20' or less will get you wet and beat you unless it's a calm day. :yes::yes:
Dale

·
Registered
104 Posts
You have the boat show coming up at the Va. Beach Convention Center around the end of the month or the first of Feb. Wait until then and see what kind of deal you can get there. Everyone always has some show specials. That is if there will be a boat show this year. Heard they were down to two exbit halls.

Dickie

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
Ed's Marine Boat Sales & Service

What ever your friend does, don't do business with Ed's Marine. Don't even buy a new boat from them. There have been way too many tales of horror on this board about their tactics, their promises and/or their workmanship.

I haven't checked the Better Business Bureau lately, but I think Ed's is normally near the top of the list of complaints placed. Call me any time and I can provide you some details of nightmares when buying a new boat from Eds.

Kevin
Weekend Mistress

PS Most folks with Sea Hunts I know really like their boats a lot.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I bought a 19' Carolina Skiff DLX from Chatlee in July. Wanted something to use by myself and in shallows. Just depends on what type of fishing he wants to do. The Skiff has alot smoother ride than most think. I still use my Keywest 2020WA in the bay but if I had to pick between the 2 I would go with the Skiff. Both are great boats. JMO.

·
Registered
99 Posts
A freind of mine on tidal fish (captn Tim) has a 18ft or 19 ft mako for sale has a four stoke yamaha i believe for sale just bought a new bigger parker. Bmail and i will give you his number if you are interested

Frank

·
Registered
78 Posts
I happen to find some pics of the damage to my old seahunt if you want to see them before you make your choice let me know. One of the problems with ed`s is that for your warrenty work most places around won`t work on anything that has come from them because its usualy a nightmare. It would have taken atleast 2000 to fix my boat for the structal issues because the whole back corner needed to be ground out and reglassed. Every one that I have seen has lots of stress cracks all have been bay fished also so ruff water has played a factor since then SH has went to a euro transome maybe this has fixed the problem maybe not If your are set on getting either one take it for a ride in ruff water to see you can feel the haul flexing witch eventualy lead to the stress cracks and structual cracks. As for a carolina skiff even the dlv version will beat the snot out of you and will be a wet ride. Not trying to realy bash Sea hunt just being honest and yeah I did enjoy the boat right up to when the transom started to seperate

·
Registered
267 Posts
I had the 17' cc seahunt. Make sure you are paid up on your dental policy, you will need to have your teeth fixed after a trip out in 2 footers or more. Great river boat, crappy bay/ocean. At least around here in VB

·
Registered
267 Posts
Call me for a better boat. I owned the 17 Seahunt, sold it after a year and bought a Dusky 19' cc and repowered with the bullet-proof Suzuki 140 4 stroke on a built in bracket. I'm going bigger and have it for sale. I'm in Virginia Beach. Call me 757-374-3956. I can tell you about both boats and ed's marine.

·
Registered
140 Posts
186 sea hunt cc with 150 4 stroke yamy, have had it for three years, fish everywher I want to in anything less than 3 foot in the bay, and bigger in the ocean, it is light and fast, dry as a cc can be

1 - 20 of 32 Posts