Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I have a 25ft Trophy Center Console with trailer with rollers. I am comfortable with launching and retrieving my boat what I am trying to figure out is how to launch a boat on rolller trailer without getting WET. It doesn't seem safe to unhook the boat from the trailer I have a fear that it will roll off before entering the water? (Is that possible) Usually I back the trailer into the water then unhook it. But with the water getting colder soon. I would like to be able to stay dry... I thought about just getting some sort of rain boots to try and stay dry...

ANY ADVICE OR SUGGESTIONS>

THANKS!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I tie a line around the winch post and pass it through the bow eye, then wrap the loose end around the post and tie a slip knot. Unhook the winch and back down the ramp. Pull the slip knot and unwrap the line and let it roll. Make sure you have enough line on the boat so you don't have to chase it down the ramp.

·
Registered
14,334 Posts
OK, so I have a 25ft Trophy Center Console with trailer with rollers. I am comfortable with launching and retrieving my boat what I am trying to figure out is how to launch a boat on rolller trailer without getting WET. It doesn't seem safe to unhook the boat from the trailer I have a fear that it will roll off before entering the water? (Is that possible) Usually I back the trailer into the water then unhook it. But with the water getting colder soon. I would like to be able to stay dry... I thought about just getting some sort of rain boots to try and stay dry...

ANY ADVICE OR SUGGESTIONS>

THANKS!
I have a roller trailer as well and have to get feet wet on most ramps. The only thing you can do is try to balance on the tongue or install a walk board. I have tried to wrap the bow rope around a piling so I can unhook it before it rolls too far.............Gary

·
Premium Member
26,256 Posts
I've had roller trailers under 4 different boats. I never had to back the trailer so deep as to get my feet wet.

Only wet feet I got was Breezy Point when parking lot was flooded but that does not count.

Your fear is legit - seen 7-8 boats roll off trailer onto ramp pavement when owner unhooked winch cable too soon.

Next trip - try launching boat with trailer not as deep. On my rigs - I only had to get water over front hubs. Well greased rollers are key but she slides off fast. That is main advantage of roller trailer - not having to " sink " it.

If your trailer does require going deep - a good set of hip boots will work fine. Just beware slime on some ramps - especially low tide.

I've also seen guys climb into open bed of pick up - then onto trailer tongue.

·
Registered
14,334 Posts
I've had roller trailers under 4 different boats. I never had to back the trailer so deep as to get my feet wet.

Only wet feet I got was Breezy Point when parking lot was flooded but that does not count.

Your fear is legit - seen 7-8 boats roll off trailer onto ramp pavement when owner unhooked winch cable too soon.

Next trip - try launching boat with trailer not as deep. On my rigs - I only had to get water over front hubs. Well greased rollers are key but she slides off fast. That is main advantage of roller trailer - not having to " sink " it.

If your trailer does require going deep - a good set of hip boots will work fine. Just beware slime on some ramps - especially low tide.

I've also seen guys climb into open bed of pick up - then onto trailer tongue.
I don't have to back my trailer down so far but if I dont, I can't unhook my cable because of the steep angle. I can launch w/o getting wet but have to run out a lot of cable..... Gary

·
Registered
433 Posts
I walk out on the tongue of the trailer to unhook it. I use the spare tire as a platform to stand on. It requires a little balance, but I don't get wet.

I can also reach down from inside the boat to unhook the strap. If there is a dock just back down near it and climb on the boat to reach the hook. To load it I do the opposite. Drive the boat up and grab the strap. Reach down and hook it to the boat, then I climb down on the trailer, stand on the spare tire and crank it on.

I never detach the boat from the trailer until the motor is started and running. I have seen too many people blocking the ramp tied to the dock trying to get their motor started. Get it started while on the trailer and if there is a problem pull the trailer and get out of the way.

·
Registered
236 Posts
27 Sailfish is on the money. what also works for me is: I have installed a 12ft. walk board with nonskid on it. And C-hawk has a line from the bow eye to the winch post, I run mine from the Deck cleat to the winch post. And a pair of 16" water boots kept in the truck for when I have to back farther down some ramps.

·
Registered
236 Posts
27 Sailfish is on the money. On my trailer I have installed a 12" walk board with nonskid on it. And C-hawk has a line from his bow eye to the winch post, I run my line from the deck cleat to the winch post. And I keep a pair of 16" water boots in the truck for when I have to back down some ramps.

·
Premium Member
26,256 Posts
Not being smart - keep two heavy duty garbage bags in your truck.

In a pinch - they can be used as hip boots. Step in a bag - twist it few times to take out slack and tuck under your belt to hold it. Do same for other leg.

At Breezy Point - now / then the ramp area has 2 - 6 inches of water. You'll see this trick used often. Beats taking off shoes / socks and rolling up pants.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
I waited till Skip was fishing. Then I took pictures of his walk-boards and made my own set. I also added a cleat to my winch post, run my bow line to it.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Don't want to get wet? Slip your boat, walk on drive off.. no fuss. My #1 recommended way to boat..
If you plan to only trailer, consider converting it to a bunk.

I trailer a 24' on rollers with a RC30 winch on a Venture.

I back the boat until the fenders are above the water line, at that point I can disconnect both safety and rc30 cable depending on tide/ramp slope. Ches Beach as an example. Give the pulpit a shove and it's off. ( Tied off to a piling of course )

To pull it, I do the same thing, push the boat onto the trailer and secure the winch to the boat by standing on the fender ( must lay out your cable/strap first ).

Easier to do by myself, if someone else helps it typically doesn't "help" :)

RC30 has an RF remote, I can launch/load by myself.. boat is close to 3 ton..

They used to be referred to as "pimp boots" here I think.. http://www.jandh.com/media/upload/product/1924/Rugged-Shark-Mens-Great-White-Performance-Deck-Boots.jpg

Enjoy the boat, get wet but not longer than 10 min these days please.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I have a small deep v on a bunk trailer which I have to sink to the top of the fenders in order to load/unload my boat. I always keep hip boots in my tow vehicle and featherweight chest waders in my boat. I also have a 20' heavy bowline attached to the fold down arm on my electric anchor winch that I use to tie off with. It's surprising the # of guys at the ramps I see struggling with their boats that comment on my hip boots..."wow, what a great idea, why didn't I think of that"....hip boots are cheap, easy and keep you dry. Just be careful on icy or slimy ramps :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I have a power in/out Powerwinch. I use the power out feature. Never get my hubs or feet wet.
Power winch for in is key. Power out is nice too, but I simply use a long heavy rope to control its descent. Take two wraps around the winch stand. Skips board ideas are a nice addition.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
If your going, planning to , just might, walk on your trailer tongue --- BUY the strips of NON-SKID and put them any where your plan to step on metal. I guarantee you will slip and bust a few ribs or worse. WET TRAILER RAILS CAN BE A SERIOUS PROBLEM.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts