Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a bow, preferably new but will look seriously at a gently used bow. I currently own an older model called an Apache Carbon 3D by Continental. Long since out of business. Compared to these new technology bows, mine is slow and loud. I'm always looking for deals. I want a bow with a 31 to 34" axle-to-axle length, 28" draw set between 68 and 70lbs. Willing to spend $500 to $600 for a fully outfitted / quality bow. Any suggestions?

By the way, I live in Chesapeake, Va and I've been in every bow shop around including Bass Pro Shops. I've been to Great Bridge Archery, Southside Archery, Wilcox Bait and Tackle. Wilcox guy must be independently wealthy. No one there on the weekends to sell and setup bows? Waste of gas and time. I know, I should have called ahead. Who'd of thunk it![grin]

Send me a b-mail if you know of any deals out there.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I was talking to and old friend the other day that i havent seen much of sence he had a bow shop. He shoots with a club and also won the Va. state broad head tourny one year. Anyway,the pearson spoiler must be a good bow because thats all he shoots now. He was shooting nothing but martin bows for years. I still hunt with a pearson a bought from him years ago. I think he said the pearson was in the 400.00 range.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have a Mathews Legacy and absolutely love it. 34 inches and very smooth, fast and quiet. They actually dont make the Legacy any more, but the Outback and Switchback are the newer models. They are pricey new, but look on E-bay. They usually have some pretty good deals.

I have heard that Bowtech is very good also.

The best bow shops in tidewater( I think) are Wilcox in N.N. or Great Bridge Archery.

·
Registered
546 Posts
BARNOLD

THE BOWTECH SHOOTS AWSOME, BUT IT IS SHORT AND TENDS TO LEAN RIGHT OR LEFT WHEN YOU SHOOT. LONGER AXLE TO AXLE IS BETTER FOR HUNTING IN MY OPINION. I BOUGHT A NEW HOYT CYBERTECH TWO YEARS AGO ON EBAY. SAVED $200.00. BUT AFTER I SHOT MATHEWS, PSE, BOWTECH, ETC. MOST BOW SHOPS WILL LET YOU FIRE BOWS BEFORE YOU BUY AND MAY HAVE USED SET UPS FOR SALE. DO YOUR RESEARCH AND SHOOT. GOOD LUCK AND LET US KNOW WHAT YOU PICK UP. ALSO CONSIDER THE LIMBS. IFYOU HAVE A CHOICE OF LIMB, DONT SETTLE FOR THE CHEAPER.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I'm shooting a Parker Ultralite 31 and love it. Its fast,smooth,qiute and best of all its short axle legth makes it nice in the tree or on the ground.

It aslo has a special sensor on it that will not allow you to shoots dogs with it

DEAN

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I have had a hoyt for five years and it is awesome. Its not the most expensive model. I paid $600 for everything including a dozen carbon arrows.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I shoot a Mathews Q2, 30" draw, 71.5 pounds, purchased from Wilcox. It is everything I hoped it would be and more. I have taken deer as close as 8 yards and up to 50 yards with it.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Tom @ Wilcox has taken care of me as well & I like the idea of going w/ a smaller shop. Be patient though and don't expect to run in & out w/ the bow in 1 hr. bc its almost a 1 man show. I did some research on different bow forums and decided to go w/ the AR34 last year. I've been happy w/ it although it has taken some time to get it quiet.

Personally, I wasn't impressed by the Woman's attitude @ Great Bridge Archery & all they seemed to push was Mathews. Not that Mathews isn't a sweet bow its just that there are other bows out there today for less $$$ that are great as well.

Russ

http://www.bowsite.com/menu.cfm
http://www.bowhunting.net/
http://www.jesseshunting.com/index.php
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/
http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/

·
Registered
717 Posts
For what its worth here is my 2 cent, hope it is of some use to ya.

Shot Person in the early days thought it was nice.
Then went to Hoyt when I was into weekly 3D. Nice also.
Then spent several years with the PSE Line, fast but radical.
Last two years, Mathews. Have to say now I really know NICE. Super quite, soft on the shot, just an easy bow to shoot.

If you can find one within your price range take a long look before passing it up.

Regarding Tom at Wilcox, it really is almost a one man operation like stated. However, if you have the time you will walk out with gear set up the way it is suppose to be. I would have to say they are probably some the most knowledgable folks you'll find. But it is hard to get waited on sometimes.
Good Luck

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replys. It's what I've come to expect from the good folks that frequent Tidal Fish.

I have made my choice and actually purchased a 2005 Diamond Victory Solitaire (by Bowtech). 34.5" axle to axle, 7.5" brace height, 4 lbs even and an IBO between 308-316 FPS. Got a great package deal from the folks at Archery Experts.

Thanks again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts