Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
commercial LLC license holders limited to 4 bushels of male crabs a day from August 1 to Sept. 30, 2022. Crab potters are allowed 8 to 15 bushels a day depending on license. Nothing said about females. No change to current regs for July 1 to July 31. No word on rec crabbing yet.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
C'mon Longtail, I know you're commenting on this one. I'm going to agree with you in advance of your post. Crab potters allowed 8-15 bushels per day is robbing the bay. At today's prices they are making great money.

Mike

·
Registered
15,187 Posts
commercial LLC license holders limited to 4 bushels of male crabs a day from August 1 to Sept. 30, 2022. Crab potters are allowed 8 to 15 bushels a day depending on license. Nothing said about females. No change to current regs for July 1 to July 31. No word on rec crabbing yet.
How many commercial trot liners are even catching 4 bushels a day......... Gary

·
Registered
12,013 Posts
The 900 pot crabbers pull 300 pots a day and on good days they catch 20 bu.males They're taking a cut. How would you like $1,000 a day pay cut. The price of male crabs will probably go up to compensate for it. No big deal. That's what everone wanted.Cut the limits on commercials. I think that;s what happened with gas. Same results

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I’ll bite.

any reduction to either fishery is a good thing but a not good thing. The commercial fishery is providing a service for those that can not or
Don’t want to catch their own seafood, so I leave it up to managers of the fishery. My concern is the recreational fishery. I’m curious to see what they throw out

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
I will start to worry when we hear Suicide Bridge Restaurant/Crab House say we don't have any steamed crabs. The crabbers are not catching them. That is when we will start to worry.

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
799 Posts
Too many fingers in that pie Gary.

Reactions: crabby and son

·
Registered
12,013 Posts
An LCC 50 pot unlimited trotline crabber could run trotlines early then have time to pull 50pots and get another 2 bu.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Effective July 1 - December 15 One bushel limit

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Oh I agree.
Louisiana crabs, I think are good and compatible to Md crabs.

when I was selling, it was because we couldn’t keep up with demand and larger crabs were always inconsistent

·
Registered
62 Posts
How many commercial trot liners are even catching 4 bushels a day......... Gary
I have seen averages 5 6 bushels and as high as 16 bushels in a day. Some cabbers take anything they catch including lights. Unlimited trotline and auto dippers 10,000 ft of line can easily be run. I'm glad to see the limits but more needs to be done.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Wonder how many bushels of crabs at the restaurants are being thrown out / wasted because of the high cost. It's not like gas and you have to have it. I won't pay those high prices, when I can go catch some myself.

Mike

·
Registered
Skinny water fisherman.
799 Posts
Why is that? I can tell you that Md. crabs taste much better then FL. crabs.
But North Carolina crabs are the best. 😉

1 - 20 of 87 Posts