Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my new Backyard Custom Rod (& Repairs) yesterday, it's schweet! Its a 6' MH Rainshadow IM-7 blank with titanium framed guides with a St Croix handle. Custom rods are nice 'cause you can get what you want in a rod. I like the St Croix handles on 6' rods since the rear grip is just a little bit longer than most you'll find on 6 ft'ers and fits me prefectly. My old BCR custom St Croix Premier is now 2nd fiddle (backup). Now I'll need another reel.:yes:

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
5,686 Posts
Eminent Brother,
I want one like that only 6'6" long. What color is it and who made the blank???

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The blank is made by Batson. The IM-7 is characoal grey, its got aquamarine wraps with gold accents, and an obligatory rockfish decal.;) Its much stiffer than the flimsy Premier (IM-6) I was using.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
Good idea using the St Croix handle Phil.I have a saint Q rod but the backbone itself is to limp for my likeing.I may steal you idea and use that handle on a 6' blank,Steve willing that is;)
Enjoy the new saber.it should get a work out before long.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTW (for the Gray-one)

My new Catalyst's gray housing and rotor match up prefectly with my new Rainshadow IM-7 blank and titanium guides (thats soo [email protected], I can't beleeb I just wrote that:eek: )!

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Thanks for the plug Phill I really appreciate that. I really like those Batson rod blanks they do have some nice backbone for a 6’ stick. Those colors you picked out are just about my favorite that makes for a nice combination.

Ole Gray One, I can get you set up with a nice 6’6” rod just to your likens, heck I can even do the wraps in “Pink”. :D

Roger I’ll put any handle you want on it but we just have to be careful about what rod you would want if you go any bigger then the 6’ rod I can’t do it. They only make them to fit the 6’ rods for some reason I can’t bore out the cork to make it any bigger.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Tony- reaming it out is not the hard part it's that they just don't make them thick enough to fit over a .570 butt end for the 6’ 6’ rod blank. The 6’ rod has a .515 butt and I can get it to fit over it after reaming it out some. I tried to ream one out before and the sides got to thin and I thought they where going to crack the cork with any kind of pressure.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Phil, I know you are going to love that rod, and a great choice for the reel, they are nice! Hang on to them (Har! Har!). I am going to have to check out Steve's work! I have reached the point where I have 4 Favorite rod and reel setups! I am contemplating seeking professional help with this, b:cool2: ut I actually had a breakthrough this winter. I drooled over a Shimano Calcutta 7' MH rod in a catalog for a month and did not buy it, I feel guilty every time I look at the three rod racks I have full at home. Buy the way, I have crossed BPS off my go to list, they just suck so bad, bad service, out of stock, knocking off every popular lure with cheap china look a likes, what greed! And I swore off Shimano reels 10 years ago.:cool2:

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
Roger I'll put any handle you want on it but we just have to be careful about what rod you would want if you go any bigger then the 6' rod I can't do it. They only make them to fit the 6' rods for some reason I can't bore out the cork to make it any bigger.
Thats cool Steve,hey Im going to give you a shout at the end of the week,still thinking a couple things over on this one.

I still dont want rainbow wraps :D

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Phil, I know you are going to love that rod, and a great choice for the reel, they are nice! Hang on to them (Har! Har!). .:cool2:
:oops:

Don't know why but I just never looked much beyond Shimano, glad I finally did. The handle on that Quantum is SOLID and its silky smooth. For jiggin', I'm more comfortable with a MH 6' and that St Croix handle really rounds out that setup for me. Now for casting topwaters and 'traps, a 6'6" or so casting outfit is more comfortable, especially for lobbing those 1.5 oz Stillwaters on the Flats (it won't be too much longer now)!:wacko:

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Steve,
I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes, the diameter of the cork is just too thin to work easily.

You can always cut down the cork and merge some larger cork to it down low. Once you get it epoxied on, put it in the lathe and sand it all down to wherever the customer wants.

Of course, that takes extra time, and the customer will have to pay for it. As long as they understand that, no problem, but often they can't seem to make the connection.

Best wishes and happy wrapping!

-TH

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I just ordered one the other day. I cant wait to get that baby I have a Stella waiting for it:yes:

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
They only make them to fit the 6' rods for some reason I can't bore out the cork to make it any bigger.
Cork deadens a rods response and adds unnecessary weight to a rod. Next time try either a Texalium or Matrix carbon fiber handle. They're very light weight and the sensitivity is unreal.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Trophy Pro, I got your rods in yesterday and I should have the components in either today or tomorrow so I should have them done by the weekend. Can’t wait to get started on them, thanks.

Tony- My only problem is that I don’t have a lathe.

Clyde-I have checked into those Texalium handles and yes they are very light and very $$$$. They run about $40.00 for 30” then you have to put them over a cork bushing to make them fit.

Whalen-Just give me a call one day and we can talk about getting you a rod just ask Phill he had a few of them built and lost one to.:censored:

Roger-Give me a call this week I need to talk to you anyway then we can talk about getting your rod wrapped up in the pretty Rainbow Color. I would not do that to you….:D

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Clyde-I have checked into those Texalium handles and yes they are very light and very $$$$. They run about $40.00 for 30" then you have to put them over a cork bushing to make them fit.
I don't use cork for any type of a build up situation. It deadens the response of the rod. Use graphite arbors if build up is too much for standard tape and epoxy methods.

BTW: I'm back home iuntil next Wednesday. Give me a call when you get a chance

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Hey Mike do you think Brandon would go for that. :nono: I guess you did not catch that whale this pass weekend.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
I think Phill and I are to go hit the river on Saturday but I have HJS going along as well. What are you doing March 10th I will ink you in if you would like to go. Things just are not happing this year on the river not sure what’s going on.... By the way we are still talking about going to Washa on the 16th for some flounder fishing but we are waiting for Virginia to make a decision on their regs and that happens today.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts