Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll,
This is my first post to this site so please excuse me if I have posted in the wrong message board. With that being said, after reading a ton of threads, I think it may be safe to say that ya'll know the business:) I have a prediciment..... we just purchased a new boat and need to "rig her right" After spending years of looking at a Nintendo style black and grey Hummingbird depth finder( I must say that Wide 100 did it's job well), it is time to upgrade to the wonderful world of color! Any suggestions? Looking at RayMarine and Lowrance. Price range from $600-$700. I fish the Ches Bay, have a 18'6" cc boat and do not need a GPS but would like a chart plotter. I know it is a little vague (from the looks of it only 1MM units out there) but any suggestions would be appreciated:D

·
Premium Member
12,554 Posts
I would go for a Furuno FCV-600, think it was like $700 with transducer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
depth finder

thanks for the reply! Always though Furuno had the market on larger boats nav systems, have not heard much feedback from small boat users

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
favor Lowrance. Highrest pixel count for the clearest picture. I think there was a thread very recently on this subject. try a search...That way you can see the past posts. there is some good info on them. You will get ALOT of different opinons on units;)

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Welcome aboard Bigwater3! I'm in the same market for a similair combo unit - this board will answer most all of your questions. It would also be good to stop by the many shows/expos/seminars that will be occuring in the next 60 days and talk to the folks that use'em for a living - and can provide you with honest feedback and guidance. Andy

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome Andy. I must say that so far this site is everything I expected and more! Good to see that there is still some good honest people left that just want to crab, fish and hunt...as well as share their knowledge. I tried to search for this topic on past posts per tolmaz's reply however apparently my search button up top leads to nothing. Go figure, manage a multi million dollar finance branch and can't even find a way to work the search feature:D

So I am sitting in my hunting/ fishing room, surrounded by hanging umbrella rigs and pictures of rockfish and crabbing trips...and outside...snow in Elkton! April could not come fast enough! Been eyeing up my trout rods on the holder...may need to sneak a trip:)

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Welcome aboard --- There's a reason that you see so many Furuno units on commercial boats/ships. They're tough and the WORK consistantly. It's probably going to be hard if not impossible to find a plotter that's not a GPS since the plotter function depends on the GPS function to work. I have a Furuno 1850 WDF, which is the plotter-gps/depth/fishfinder.It was replaced with the 7000 series that have plug-n-play connectivity.
They are no longer produced but are still available. This type of unit may still be more than your willing to spend if your sticking to the $600-700 range. You'll find over time that there's no substitute for good electronics equipment when your on the water. Shop around and hit the boat shows and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Again -- Welcome to the board and good fishing.
BTW -- Your right about the one search option. If you go back to the main board listing, "Cheapeake angler" and go to "search this forum" it will give you some results. There have been some problems with this new board and Brandon is still working on things.

·
Registered
6,708 Posts
I've been using Lowrance products since I got my first boat. They have always served me well, and I'm familiar with they're operation. I just moved up to a hard drive color unit and I'm very pleased so far. I think you can find a LCX26HD, 7" screen, gps/sonar unit, complete with all the maping for just over a grand. This is a discontinued left over model that cost twice as much last year. good stuff;)

If ya have the room, I think ya can find a LCX111Hd, 10" screen with the same software as the above unit in the same price range.

Try Boaters World. They had them a few months ago---------------

·
Registered
114 Posts
Bigwater3,

I would get a Ray DS600X. But hey, what do I know. :)

Hope to see you out fishing soon if I can pry you outdoors one day.

Captain B

·
Super Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com
1,109 Posts
BW 3... I just put that new Furuno 620 on my boat.... IT IS SWEET.... the display and output is 1000 % better than the Garmin unit that I had on there... I stuck with the Garmin GPS though...

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I'll go along with B-Faithful. Whatever you buy, buy it at BOE. Jim is has the best price and the best service. Plus he's local.

I'm partial to the Furuno.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all your replies, really helped in the decision making process:)
Stonewall, I may sound like an amature but BOE???? Any place that has good prices and good stuff ranks up there in my book! Always up for helping out a local guy.
Captain B, I have always heard that Ray's are top notch, but think the Furno's gotta buddy!
Anxious to check out Furno's line. And as for prying me away...
Not to many outdoorsmen are lucky enough to have a woman like this...8 point buck this year, wall hanging trout, insane crab trap puller.... guess I should sharpen up on the skills:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts