Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figure with bad weather - few fishing reports - so thought I'd share this. Been looking for a while for a dog for my son. We've had black Labs before and really like them. Other dogs were older when we got them - give aways - but great dogs. Wife wanted a puppy - thought the dog would bond better with her and our son. Called around / asked friends / watched paper and internet but few free puppies were out there. Most were mixed breed - father unknown :eek2:.
The prices for Lab pups was tough to believe - some over $1,200.00. Now understand - we were just looking for a Lab as a pet , not a show dog.

Christmas morning was a let down - Santa could not find a pup. Good luck smiled though and found a pup in York , Pa - still had to pay but not bad at all , if you factor in it was wormed and 1st shots. He is english type - big headed.

So , ended up with a new fishing buddy. Named him " Ruckus " and so far - he has lived up to his name.

In the first couple days - he has broken a ceramic statue , one lamp , two table legs are chewed on , ripped up a few socks - normal puppy stuff. I laugh and tease my wife - it's bonding time. Can not wait to get him out fishing with us. With our grandson - should be a fun time in summer.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
That's a cute puppy, looks like he's going to be a brute. English labs tend to be less looney than the Americans, but I'm sure there is lots of chewing and mischief in his future non the less, comes with the territory. If he chews the handle on a favorite rod or maybe a Coach bag, just Netflix an Old Yeller, Marley and me double feature for a quick reprieve.:yes:

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
He is a keeper that for sure and like Lou said he is going to be a brute. Have fun because it's only the start of a long friendship...

·
Registered
283 Posts
My former partner was a black lab (bomb sniffer) and you will never find a more committed and dedicated friend and family member. The break in period is well worth the future benefits.
Rob

·
Registered
521 Posts
Nice, and congratulations. We just got a new black lab pup also. Got him from the same breeder we got our Chocolate lab Max from 11 years ago, down in Nanjemoy MD. Max died before thanksgiving and we really miss having a 4 legged friend around the house. When we got max we were boatless and he never really took to the boat once we got one. I'm hoping that starting the new pup (Riley) early on the boat will make him a lifelong fishing partner. We'll see.

BTW Riley's middle name must be chaos, because the minute you take your eye off him, he's getting into something!

Good Luck,

DBM

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
My dog Sally is a English Black Lab, was a puppy from a shelter. Best dogs with children, on boats and overall in my experience. Congrats Skip. Adds so much to your life.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
579 Posts
Skip,

Good looking Puppy. By the size of his head and paws he is going to be big boy. Our Puppy about 6 years ago chewed up the legs on our new kitchen table. The dog was free (relative didn't want her) but the table cost 800.00. Like the name. Have fun with him.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Nice Looking Pup, I have 2. One Black and one Chocolate. They are the greatest dogs. Go find a patch of water with no ice and throw him in now. I chucked my Choc. at 8 weeks, now I cant get out of the water.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Nice looking pup Skip.
Last year, the day of the blizzard, my wife found a rescue dog and HAD to have it. She had the kids fired up and I was in a no win situation. So she calls the rescue and the lady tells us there is another couple from Westminster about to leave their home and make the drive to Burtonsville. That gives me a 25 minute head start. I shovel a single lane out of the driveway but my street is unplowed. Put the truck in 4 wheel low and plowed my way to the head of the street where I find a 5' bankdoh.
By now I"m cussing a dog that I don't want while I'm making a hole for the truck. We pile into the truck and head to a Burtonsville apartment complex where people are shoveling with frying pans, trash cans, and other useless means. Don't these people know were getting 5' of snow?
There were two dogs available and we picked the one Lisa and the kids wanted. She's just over a year old now and as expected the house is in shambles. She loves drywall:help: Leave her alone for over an hour and you'd better come home with some drywall mud and a spackle knife. Chairs legs, shoes, anything left out in the open is fair game. She's great with the kids and is a very sweet dog. Shiloh is a Border Collie-Canaan mix (we think) and we are very glad we have her.
Her she is polishing off the milk and cookies we left for Santa.
Good luck with Ruckus.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Congradulations on your new fellow!! I have 2, my black bear dog and my white boy and trust them more than the majority of people in this world. They are without a doubt my best friends. Never complain and will always go wherever I go at any time of day in any kind of weather. All they want is to be with me. Labrador Retrievers, Gods perfect canine. I will always have one until I can not train them anymore.

·
Registered
7,988 Posts
Hey there Skip, Cute pup. And yes the break-in period with labs can be trying. I see your pup has a white spot on his chest, we got new black lab last spring and she has the same spot. When she is really bad , which is often, my wife threatens to return her because she is defective. Good luck. No boat should be without a lab.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
6,372 Posts
Skip,
Congrats I think that guy needs a shave though look at tem whiskers.Our Chocolate Indy is 2 now and my go anywhere with me buddy I won't leave home w/o him...Congrats enjoy potty training...:eek2:

·
Registered
521 Posts
This thread reminds me of my favorite bumper sticker " THE MORE PEOPLE I MEET, THE MORE I LIKE MY DOG"

DBM

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.
6,189 Posts
Great choice of dog there :clapping2:, and yes, how could anyone not love a black lab pup? I had a back lab in my younger day. Great dogs :yes:

·
Registered
14,335 Posts
ALL dogs are great dogs but Labs are special! I have had one my entire life. I just wished they would live longer!. I look forward to watching him grow. Lisa and Tyler have to be very happy with him! Here's a shot of mine.............that was $1800.00 :eek2:.............Gary

Head Dog Eye Dog breed Carnivore

1 - 20 of 43 Posts