Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's almost time, just about ready to take the cover off the boat so I can look out the window and start dreaming of April.

Wanted to start a post on new Fly gear we all bought for the season starting soon. Well heres mine:

Orvis Zero Gravity 8 wt
Mach iv large arbor
2 extra spools
Orvis Titanium saltwater pliers
Empty savings account
Pissed wife :helpsmilie:

Won't be long:yes:

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Ya done good Ean.

I do not think I got any fly stuff except a lot of expensive tying stuff and a bunch of fly lines.

I see a Fly Line Tamer in the bow. Do you have any trouble hitting the 12" opening during aggressive stripping? Stan Pleskunas now has a 15" model. Not sure how much a 3" wider opening would help. They are expensive at about $180 list.

The flats season opens tomorrow. Doubt there will be a fish caught at 36 degree water temp.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Got the 9' 8 wt Z-axis.
Mildly annoyed wife. (Might not have told her the ACTUAL price)
Was looking at the Tibor Everglades, but figured I should quit while I was ahead.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Thanks Red/blue.

I have worn out three sets of two of those leaf barrels so far. They are great when new but sag after while and the spring wears through the covering. My Parkers non skid deck is like sand paper. You do not slip which is good but the leaf barrels only last about a year of heavy fishing. So $32 every time I buy a set of them starts to add up. It is more annoying than anything to keep wearing them out. Maybe I should just look at it as a fly line and keep buying a new set every year.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bill,

The fly line tamer model has worked great for me. 98% time i used it because the running line on my rio outbound is very thin and always blows around the deck. And casting is nicer when it comes out of the tamer like a cannon. You do have to get it started in the tamer by stripping directly in it then the rest of the fly will flow into it with regular strips. Have you ever had the "fly line tamer" model Bill?

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Bill - Duct tape once a year around the perimeter will greatly extend the life of the Brady Barrel. My barrels are only $15 at ACE btw.

Also - if you store the barrel partially extended, the springs last longer. I think I got 4 years out of my last one before it sagged too much. I store mine in the Parker livewell, so the springs are about halfway compressed.

Now - I only fished about 200 hours last year, so you're likely putting a lot more wear on yours.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,298 Posts
Loomis GLX 10wt Rod
Reddington 8wt Rod
St Croix Legend Ultra (I think) 8 wt Rod
Omoto 980 Fly reel
2 Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor V reels

·
Registered
63 Posts
New Gear for Spring

:fishing2: Bought a new Jones Bros 23 w/200 Yamaha with a little input from Wild Bill ,Chris Newsome, silverfishflies ,and others on this site. Thanks

Excitted and anxious ,also interesting in how many "new friends " I seem to have found !!!

Need to go clean my lines now !!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
redington 13' 8WT two hander
Loop W3 Palming reel
TFO 9' 7wt professional
Lamson Velocity 3
A few fly lines

Leaving for Florida tomorrow!!

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Ean-

I had a Fly Line Tamer and sold it cheap at the Tri-State Flea. I sometimes strip fast and long and missed the opening too often. Not sure how much 3 more inches in dia would make, if any.

Pax-

My barrels are duct taped but still do not last. Mine are $16 each with tax. I furnish one for the guy in the bow and that is where the $32 came from. I think they are the same as yours. They work but if there is a better mouse trap, I want to try it.

They could make an improvement in the commercial ones if they made them on a slight taper so one would fit inside the other. Carrying two of the rigid ones in the Sub takes a lot of space.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Ean-

I had a Fly Line Tamer and sold it cheap at the Tri-State Flea. I sometimes strip fast and long and missed the opening too often. Not sure how much 3 more inches in dia would make, if any.

Pax-

My barrels are duct taped but still do not last. Mine are $16 each with tax. I furnish one for the guy in the bow and that is where the $32 came from. I think they are the same as yours. They work but if there is a better mouse trap, I want to try it.

They could make an improvement in the commercial ones if they made them on a slight taper so one would fit inside the other. Carrying two of the rigid ones in the Sub takes a lot of space.
What about a canvas bag, like http://www.cspoutdoors.com/cabuba.html

or, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Natural-Canva...categoryZ15263QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
R/B-

They are pretty neat. I never saw any of those. As 11" they are too small for my stripping, and I think the canvas would rub through about as fast as the vinyl.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
well man do I feel left out. I bought nothing in fly gear this year. So far.;) I did get a anchor left float and ring. This old sob is not pulling any anchors this year. I also bought a puch pole. I got to give the kidd somthing to do instead of watching me catch fish bwahahahaha.:thumbup:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
saltyfly,

Did you say you purchased a push pole. There is a flat I fish in somerspoint NJ, 1/4 mile diameter varies from 1-3 feet. My maritime I bought last year has a poling platform but didn't come with a pole. My family has a house there and its good summer striper site fishing. If my boat dosen't sell by then I wanna buy a pole. where did you get your pole? trying not to buy a new one cause there pricey!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Let's see I bought the following:

New splash jacket to wear in the kayak
10' 9wt TFO Professional
1800 Series Sage reel
Fly tying materials
Booked a trip with Richie Gaines too

I still need to buy a sinking line for the new rod and reel, probably the new Teeny Striper line

Divorce so no wife to look give me the :nono: which makes me :clap:

·
Registered
635 Posts
Amen to that Doug. Luckily I get paid for overtime so I'm able to save a little money for spending on fishing stuff.

I've gotten a bunch of stuff since I picked up tying back in December, but no where near the amount of stuff that seasoned tyers have. I imagine I'll catch up eventually.

David

1 - 20 of 24 Posts