Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HELLO TFers,
TIME TO REPLACE MY OLD GPS/SONAR UNITS. I`M CONSIDERING THE NEW LOWRANCE 7"COMBO UNITS. LCX-28C HD OR LCX-27 C THE HD IS EQUIPPED WITH HARD DRIVE AND THE OTHER IS NOT. I`M LEANING TOWARDS THE 27 C WITHOUT HARD DRIVE BECAUSE I DONT WANT THE LIABILITY OF A ELECTRONIC DEVICE WITH MOVING PARTS INSIDE (HARD DRIVE). HOWEVER THE HARD DRIVE COMES PRELOADED WITH GOBS OF CHARTING AND NAV SOFTWARE AT A $200 PREMIUM. WILL PROBABLY HAVE TO SPEND $100 ON SOFTWARE FOR THE 27C.
ALSO DO I NEED A 50/200HZ TRANSDUCER OR WOULD ONE OR THE OTHER SUIT MY NEEDS FOR BAY FISHING?

NEED ADVICE AND /OR COMMENTS!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I've run a Lowrance LCX-15MT, then an LCX-16CI, and now an LCX-19C.

Won't comment about the hard drive or no hard drive. But if you don't have the preloaded chart info, you will need to purchase a Navionics Gold or Gold+ (or even a Platinum) chip and it will cost more than the $100 you noted.

I have the Gold XL3 chip, plus the Fish-n-Chip, and the coverage is excellent.

Brian

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I have the 27c and have been loving it. I intitally was going to ge tthe 28c hd, but after doing some research I decided to go with the 27c and the navionics gold. The navionics gold chip was just under 200. From what I read, the pre-loaded data on the hard drive (nautipath) does have decent detail, but you get more with the navionics card. I have had it installed for about 6 weeks now.

As far as the unit goes, it is great. The screen resolution is excellent and easy to view in direct sunlight w/sunglassas and has a ton of color adjustments. The sonar outperforms my old garmin. I have used it over some wrecks lately and was really impressed. Also when I was rockfishing in the ocean the bait and fish marks were awsome. The gps funtion is great to, I do have a little complaint regarding map redraw speed when reading from the card. It is not a problem when you are running, but when you are on the map page just playing around and move the cursor to a location not on the screen it takes it 1-2 seconds to redraw. There is a data overlay option that allows you to view almost any data (sonar or gps)on any page, you can change the size and location of the overlay data which is a bonus. You can also manually adjust the screen size if you like to use a split screen. The unit has all this self adjusting stuff, but if you dial it manually you will get way more from the unit. It was also easy to install.

If you have an specific questions, just let me know.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I like the Lowrance products. The 200mhz would probably suit your bay needs, but if you ever decide to go deeper than about 200 ft you will need the 50. It doesn't cost that much more to get the dual beam transducer and I think you'll be happy you spent the extra $. sonars are like shoes.....spend $ and get good ones.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought the 337C last summer, but I just got the lowarnce chip with all the charts for $99 at Boaters World. If I remember right, they had a current special on this model with all the added accessories saving you about $100 bucks. Not sure what the 28C looked like, but may be worth looking into. Of note, BW told me all the new Garmin models already come pre-loaded.
Dave

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
the map redraw speed is slow because that chip has so much info on it, the little processor in the unit needs extra time to decipher it. (like when u zoom in from a 40 mile radius to a 5 mile one by holding the button the 5 mile has a lot more detail than the 40 mile) ive had my lcx-19c for 2 years now with no complaints. i had to reformat once to a new software, but it was relatively easy with help from their techs. it did take a while to get a hold of someone tho at tech support, but thats normal these days with just about any company. i am glad i went with the lowrace versus the garmin. as a general rule of thumb from all the research ive done the garmins have a better gps system and the lowrances have a better finder. well ive not had any problems with my lowrance gps and all i do is wreck fish. the split screen sonar gps is critical for the fishing i do. the 50 mhz will be good if u do any deep fishing.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
I like the Lowrance products. The 200mhz would probably suit your bay needs, but if you ever decide to go deeper than about 200 ft you will need the 50. It doesn't cost that much more to get the dual beam transducer and I think you'll be happy you spent the extra $. sonars are like shoes.....spend $ and get good ones.
I sort of understand the 200 an 50, but when I read my Garmin 178C manual, its says you can use it in the dual mode and it should work better.??? I am only fishing the bay and some water < 10 feet. Think I should turn dual part off and just use the 200?

Thanks,
ken

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
the 200 mhz will cover a wider area than the 50 hence the dual mode in theory using the 50 can give u more detail, but in the depths u talk about u wont see any noticeable difference. if u plan on doing nothing but inshore fishing theres no need for the 50/dual frequ

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have a 2005 model 110C.....(10.4 screen w/out harddrive)....I used same logic that you mentioned about NOT having a hard drive........I use Navionics Gold card and am very satisfied......One quirk.....there are actually 2 charts....one C'bay and inshore.....you need and one for offshore....an easy switch....but nobody tells actually mentions this in the lit......without choosing the second chart you will not get the depth contour lines etc.
Transducer..........I do not run further than 40 fathoms.........although I have the 200/50.........99% of the time it is on 200.

·
Registered
32 Posts
sonar transducer freqs/beam width

Gentlemen,
I am a Chief Sonar Technician Submarines with about 15yrs experience. The difference between transmitted freq. is like most everything in life a compromise. The higher the Freq the better the resolution but it gets attenuated faster, the lower Freq xmits further because of less attenuation but has less resolution. Beam width is a factor designed in to the Xducer, now what does beam width mean to us Fishermen. A fish finder is of no use to us if we can't get a return signal we normally Xmit straight down and if the return signal is not in the Transmit/Receive cone (factor of beam width) because we are driving faster than the return can enter the cone, rocking and rolling in the bay slop, and or it is +150ft deep we don't get a return. The lowrance 50/200 is a very good compromise, the resolution for both freqs is more than adequate for finding the bottom, structure, bait, and fish. The beam widths for both freqs are more than adequate to insure that the bottom return is held except for the most rare of occasions. I hope that this answers your questions and I didn't make you fall asleep. Oh, and I own a LC 339I with a dual freq xducer.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
3,298 Posts
I sort of understand the 200 an 50, but when I read my Garmin 178C manual, its says you can use it in the dual mode and it should work better.??? I am only fishing the bay and some water < 10 feet. Think I should turn dual part off and just use the 200?

Thanks,
ken
Ken;

You should get better results if you use just the 200 MHZ in the bay ........ 50 is supposed to be for very deep water. Last year during the FLW Tournament we were not getting good readigs from the depthfinder. I discovered that it was set to the 50 mhz. We changed it to the 200 mhz and the it made a world of difference.

Thanks
Rick

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hard To Find

HELLO,
THANKS FOR YOUR INSIGHTS! WHERE DID YOU GET YOUR 27C UNIT?

I have the 27c and have been loving it. I intitally was going to ge tthe 28c hd, but after doing some research I decided to go with the 27c and the navionics gold. The navionics gold chip was just under 200. From what I read, the pre-loaded data on the hard drive (nautipath) does have decent detail, but you get more with the navionics card. I have had it installed for about 6 weeks now.

As far as the unit goes, it is great. The screen resolution is excellent and easy to view in direct sunlight w/sunglassas and has a ton of color adjustments. The sonar outperforms my old garmin. I have used it over some wrecks lately and was really impressed. Also when I was rockfishing in the ocean the bait and fish marks were awsome. The gps funtion is great to, I do have a little complaint regarding map redraw speed when reading from the card. It is not a problem when you are running, but when you are on the map page just playing around and move the cursor to a location not on the screen it takes it 1-2 seconds to redraw. There is a data overlay option that allows you to view almost any data (sonar or gps)on any page, you can change the size and location of the overlay data which is a bonus. You can also manually adjust the screen size if you like to use a split screen. The unit has all this self adjusting stuff, but if you dial it manually you will get way more from the unit. It was also easy to install.

If you have an specific questions, just let me know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts