Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Hydrasport 2900VX is 10 years old now buying it new in March 2006. 3900 hours on my Yamaha F250s and 1500 hours on my Kohler 5 KW generator. Many of the hoses were looking very worn so took on the project of replacing them. Don't want to be in a situation where a hose fails. Had to enlist the help of a younger, slimmer mate as I don't fit inside my bilge easily anymore. :Q

I replaced the following hoses with new double clamps on everything:

• Cockpit drains, 2 on each side of the deck, 2 inch hoses
  • Generator exhaust hose, 2 inches
  • bilge pump hoses
  • drain hoses to fish boxes
  • fill hose to AC unit
  • fill hose to live well
  • raw water wash down
  • deck drain

Everyone I talk to said 10 years is about the life span of a hose so don't wait until you are taking on water to think about your hoses.

·
Registered
692 Posts
hose

Wow looks like a major job...I have been delaying doing this to my 2006 Grady...I need that same young skinny guy..:thumbup:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I will say that a lot of that "marine" wire reinforced hose is pretty disappointing in the durability/performance area. Just like that one nasty looking piece in the pic, Ive had some major brand fail and leak within 2 years. Pays to stick your head in the bilge periodically.Looking can use a mirror even if ya aint skinny anymore.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Mike, mine is 9 yrs old and my hoses are starting to look a little worn as well. Not looking forward to that job either. I know a little skinny guy I will gladly pay to make it all the way to the outboard sides of the bildge to get to those damn cockpit drain hoses. Would have been nice if they would have hard piped those to the outboard drains.... Guess I'll be calling ya for advice on that project when I decide to take it on...
Chris

·
Registered
137 Posts
Another necessary hose job needs to be your fuel lines. I just helped a neighbor do it on an 05, with stalling issues. We did all filters from boat to VST and it didn't solve it. Mechanic told me all fuel lines made before (08 or 09 I think?), are not manufactured for ethanol, no matter how much additive you put in it. Tank to fuel/water separator was worse, but all showed wear. Replaced primer ball and clamps also. Problem solve.

We should have done engine fuel line, but they didn't look as bad.

Cheap and necessary for older boats.

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Another necessary hose job needs to be your fuel lines. I just helped a neighbor do it on an 05, with stalling issues. We did all filters from boat to VST and it didn't solve it. Mechanic told me all fuel lines made before (08 or 09 I think?), are not manufactured for ethanol, no matter how much additive you put in it. Tank to fuel/water separator was worse, but all showed wear. Replaced primer ball and clamps also. Problem solve.

We should have done engine fuel line, but they didn't look as bad.

Cheap and necessary for older boats.
Good point and will have to put on my punch list for sure. One can only afford to do so many boat projects a year with breaking the piggy bank. But at least the fuel lines won't sink the boat so had to work on safety issues first.

·
Registered
186 Posts
the saying is pretty true from an older gentleman I knew. he said boy you know what the first 4 initials in boat stand for. break ,out,another,thousand. I thought that was pretty true.

·
Premium Member
26,151 Posts
FWIW: Be sure to use top quality SS hose clamps. Some low quality ones use a plated worm screw - it will rust out over time. The clamp itself is SS but little good when worm screw breaks apart.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I replaced the exhaust hoses and raw water intake hoses on my boat when it hit the 9 year old mark. Major PIA to say the least. I believe the exhaust was 8" or 10".

I did the generator at the same time.

Very good topic, Mike. Your posts are always good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts