Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All-

I just bought a Bic Kalao 3 man Kayak and I am interested in rigging her for some fishing! Do you have any suggestions? I plan on fishing in the Rhode River and the creeks.

Thanks alot!

Sykesville

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Wow, thats a pretty big boat! Im guessing your going to be doing a lot of bottom fishing? Just guesing because it might be pretty hard to cast with 3 people in the boat.

Joey

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Who Knows?

Some times there will be 1 adult and 2 kids, or just 1 adult, or 2 adults!

I am interested in buying rod holders and anything else that is helpful with fishing in a Kayak.

Sykesville

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I have a Hummingbird fish/depth finder and always have a marine radio on me at all times when im out. Friday posted a lot of helpfull rigging systems over the summer. Probly just have to go and look at older posts to find them. They seem pretty cool/helpful.

Joey

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Congrats on the new boat. You'll probably want to take it for a couple of test-runs before you start drilling. One thing you could probably do while things are cold/frozen is install an anchor trolley, especially if you're going to be bottom fishing. For everything else, I would mark where you think you'd like them with duct tape, then go fishing to see if the placement works. You don't want to put rod holders in the way of your paddle stroke, etc. You can rig a crate with rod holders until you figure out the placement for everything.

I have a Humminbird 565, which is a pretty high-resolution, wide angle sonar. After using it for a season, I think I would opt for a lower-resolution color unit. There isn't much contrast on the 565, at least the way I have it set up, so it makes hard to tell how strong the returns are for distinguishing hard vs. soft bottom, fish species, etc.

They're more expensive, but I think I would opt for a combo sonar/gps unit, too, but I'm not 100% sure. There have been a few times when I found a mess of fish but drifted off of them and couldn't find them again. If I had marked them on a gps, it might've been easier to get back on the fish.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Mega-Jack,

I am going to be blunt. Please don’t get upset with me. After I looked at some pictures of Kalos, I suggest you not add anything to the kayak in 2009.

The kayak comes with GRAB LINE. So you don’t have to add grab line to the kayak.

The kayak is heavy (87lb), and carry handles are located on the both ends of the kayak. There are no carry handles in the center of the kayak. The kayak is designed to be carried by two people. So, I assume that you don’t fish alone most of time.

By just looking at the pictures of the kayak, I can NOT tell the exact measurements and shapes of some parts of the kayak for installing fish-finder and rod holders.
Depending on where you guys are sitting on the kayak, the locations of the fish finder and rod holder will be determined.
Also, the locations of the rod holder and fish-finder can not interfere with re-entry to the kayak for all of you. One of my rules for reentries for multiple people is that the heaviest person reenters the kayak first while lighter person is still in the water (opposite side and by grabbing the grab line). When a lighter person reenter the kayak, the heavier person balance the kayak by putting one leg out to the opposite side of the lighter person. Bear in mind that the stability of kayak decreases significantly as the load on the kayak increases.

What I am trying to say is that safety is the first. I suggest you practice re-entries without any gears in calm and non-moving water first with two or three people. Then add a cooler (tethered) and tackle bag (tethered) for the next level practice. Once you have enough practice, add rods.

After summer you probably figure out how the kayak will be used (Just paddling or light fishing purpose), who will use the kayak, what equipments will be on the kayak, and possibly the size and location of fish-finder and types (recessed or sticking out) of rod holders.

You may find that you don’t need a fish-finder or rod holders on the kayak at all for your family needs. Or you may buy an additional fishing kayak for just for you.

in addition, I used fished occasionally with my wife on rental Ocean Kayak Malibu II. She was the only one fishing because it was too crowded and she was not an experienced angler. So I carried only one rod and one paddle (not two) later when I fished with her.

Hope I make some sense.

Joe

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
If you ever do look into a Fishfinder I recomend the "Hummingbird PiranhaMAX 230 Portable". I would go with this one because like Joe said, you dont know where exactly your going to use it. With this one you can move it where ever you want and take it any where. I have this one and love it. I like it because I have a Yak I use for Freshwater and one for Salt. I can clean this up really good after every use so the salt doesnt eat it away. It does the job for me. Its not real high end but it does the job and I have not had any problems with it.

joey

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of the great ideas! When I use the kayak for fishing, I will most likely be by myself.

I really like the idea of using an old milk crate and attach some rod holders to it.

I live about 100 yards from the Bay, so I plan to buy some of the strap on wheels and roll the kayak down the street to the water.

I definately plan on starting out slow!

Thanks Again!

Sykesville

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Mega-Jack...
I'm local to you and would be glad to help you with rigging. I've rigged two kayaks with rod holders, batteries, fishfinders, compass, and crates. The first one also had an anchor trolley and forward scotty rod holder, neither of which I personally used much. For a while there, I was REALLY into kayak fishing. In fact, I've fished a few SRRKC events where you've been kind enough to toss me a cold one from your boat during the raft up.

My personal preference is to RAM mount stuff when possible (rocket launchers, sonar mount, etc) so that if you're not fishing or have multiple people in the yak in your case, you can remove a lot of the clutter. I made a simple crate for my tankwell that has 6 rod holders in it... 4 straight up in the corners and 2 angled out at 45 degrees for trolling. Made with a file crate, some 2" PVC, and cable ties... total project budget was less than $20. You can see in this picture kind of -

Flickr Photo Download: loaded kayak

I used to have a forward mounted scotty rod holder, and I did find it useful for holding the rod when I was unhooking and reviving a fish. Other than than, I never used it because I had a pedal kayak. But in a kayak you'll be paddling, I think it is imperative you have a place to quickly stick a rod when you need to take a few strokes... and that place will not be behind you (generally putting rods back into the holders behind me requires concentration, whereas removing them is easy). I personally believe rocket launchers are your best option for this:
RAM Tube Sale! Was $37.99: Kayak Fishing Gear and Fishing Kayaks

Good luck and PM me if you'd like me to swing by for a consult or to assist with rigging.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Josh-

Thanks for all your great advice!

I think you have me mistaken for Mega-Byte. I have yet to participate to the Severn River Tourney. Maybe this year I will. I own a Judge 27 Chesapeake.

I can't wait to try out my new Kayak. The picture you showed of the crate looks awesome. I am going to try something like that. I also liked you idea about having a rod holder near by and away from paddle strokes.

Thanks Again!

Sykesville

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Ooops - you're right! Good luck with the rigging, and like I said let me know if you need a hand (or a HO on your judge)!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts