Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have fished the chesapeake bay plenty but recently bought a fishing kayak with other equipment. I will be done with school by the end of April and was wondering if anyone knew some easily accessible spots on the bay to catch some nice fish? any help will be much appreciated

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
I have fished the chesapeake bay plenty but recently bought a fishing kayak with other equipment. I will be done with school by the end of April and was wondering if anyone knew some easily accessible spots on the bay to catch some nice fish? any help will be much appreciated
I guess before anyone can answer your question intelligently, we would need to know where on this great bay of ours are you located? If you are up in the Severn River area in MD telling you about the lower bay won't help unless you want to travel down here all the time.

No location on associated with your name on the left and no location in your profile. ;)

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Ditto sandtiger. Generally speaking, if your in the lower bay, you cant go wrong with tkaa. In the upper bay I think tidalfish and kayakfishingstuff delmarva forum are the two places you'll find the most info and fellow yakers willing to show you the ropes.

Welcome to this great sport! If you're experience is anything like mine, you'll be hooked in no time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
new kayak continued

like I said just bought a yak.I live on the james in williamsburg but we fish the lower bay a lot for cobia and stripers. I am looking for good starter spots in the lower bay to catch some large croaker and some flounders this late spring when I get back from college. Any suggestions???

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Don't know of any place on the Williamsburg side of the James River to splash a yak.
For early croakers you may want to check out Croaker Landin up on the York River.
That's not to far from you.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Check out the Williamsburg Kayak Fishing Association and the Peninsula Kayak Anglers. We have about 20 active guys from around Williamsburg and New Kent.

York River State Park (Croaker Landing) is a great place for Croakers, but that's about it for that spot, when trout are not in. West Point has some good Striper action. Powhatan Creek, near Jamestown goes from fresh to salt, with everything from largemouth and pickerel in the upper end, to croaker and stripers at the mouth... All in paddling distance from the launch. We were also catching a lot of reds at New Quarter Park right next to the Queens Creek neighborhood. And of course, Yorktown has everything, and you can launch right under the bridge.

http://wkfa.org/

Give me a shout if you want any ideas, I live right off the Croaker exit in Norge.

John "Toast" Oast
Williamsburg Kayak Fishing Association
Peninsula Kayak Anglers

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
If you go to this web site

and look around in the the different forums, about a month or so ago I posted a whole bunch of launch sites for getting a kayak into the water. Most of these sites has good fishing around them.

I spent the summer fishing around Poquoson and the York River and did very well with specks, flounder, puppy drum, stripers, croaker and spot.

Welcome to the dark side.............. as they say. Be safe and hope you enjoy the sport as much as I have.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Don't forget to get the season off to a good start by fishing the hickory and American shad runs. You can put a kayak in the James River at Richmond at the 14th street landing (paddlecraft only) or Anacarrows Landing (anything goes) at the end of Maury Street, and catch loads of shad starting in March, peaks in April. Another good place is the Mattaponi at Aylett.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts