Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my LLC from a long wait but all DNR gave me was the license, daily record of commercial crabbing paper, and a fishing guide book I have been searching through internet and the book they gave me for all the rules and regulations (there is nothing for commercial crabbing) i know i have to have the day off and lic# on both sides of my boat (min. 4" block letters )and on my truck and i can put 50 pots in the bay but i like to know the rest of the rules like how many feet i can run on trout line(s) do i need to add extra safety gear to my boat besides what i carry for rec use , how many bushels a day i could keep and so on .i can put in 1 hour before sunrise but is a light ok to have on your boat to see and start crabbing i cannot find anything in writing ...people tell me things but i want to know for sure

Thanks Dennis

·
Registered
65 Posts
sorry to bust your balls
but back in the day you had to put your time in with a commercial crabber to get a lcc now days its all about the the money anyone one who gets on the list will get a license regardless if they know what the hell they are doing or not

I had to put my time in and knew the the regulations if you don't know the regulations you should not be given a license
especially after the questions you are asking
simple commercial crabbing 101

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
sorry to bust your balls
but back in the day you had to put your time in with a commercial crabber to get a lcc now days its all about the the money anyone one who gets on the list will get a license regardless if they know what the hell they are doing or not

I had to put my time in and knew the the regulations if you don't know the regulations you should not be given a license
especially after the questions you are asking
simple commercial crabbing 101
Bub
"Back in the Day" all that was required to obtain a commercial crab / fish license was to pay the fee & sign your license. then one could go crabbing & fishing commercially
The apprenticeship program to obtain commercial licenses started in the 1990's & was eliminated in 2013 by your duly Elected representatives.

why are you even making statements such as this , when he is only following the legal requirements that Your Duly Elected Representatives put in place??
if there is a concern about the requirements to obtain licenses you should be contacting your Duly Elected Representatives instead of criticizing someone that follows the process put in place by your elected representatives.

no need for this

Dp
congrats on getting your license, you will find plenty of info here , you just have to wade through some of the BS, hope you do well

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Bub
"Back in the Day" all that was required to obtain a commercial crab / fish license was to pay the fee & sign your license. then one could go crabbing & fishing commercially
The apprenticeship program to obtain commercial licenses started in the 1990's & was eliminated in 2013 by your duly Elected representatives.

why are you even making statements such as this , when he is only following the legal requirements that Your Duly Elected Representatives put in place??
if there is a concern about the requirements to obtain licenses you should be contacting your Duly Elected Representatives instead of criticizing someone that follows the process put in place by your elected representatives.

no need for this

Dp
congrats on getting your license, you will find plenty of info here , you just have to wade through some of the BS, hope you do well
Rj, it's guys like you that help me believe in TF posters that help others out. Don't change, Tf is a better place with you posting. DP, I'll bet if you ask a question here on TF with the regular posters, you'll definitely get an answer. Best of luck to you with your LCC, heard crabbing has been spotty, but should get better. Last year was late in the season before I tried. But crabs were there, this years start seems bad according to posters here.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ive been a rec crabber for years and I put in for my llc not to make money but to get my catch for family/ friends crabs faster so I can go to work to make my money all I am asking is the difference between rec and commercial so I know the correct path to follow I didn't get nothing from dnr nor do they return phone calls I am wanting to go out on sunday and make sure Im not ticketed for some bs that is different from rec crabbing

Dennis

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Rj, it's guys like you that help me believe in TF posters that help others out. Don't change, Tf is a better place with you posting. DP, I'll bet if you ask a question here on TF with the regular posters, you'll definitely get an answer. Best of luck to you with your LCC, heard crabbing has been spotty, but should get better. Last year was late in the season before I tried. But crabs were there, this years start seems bad according to posters here.
RJ helps more than just here on TF. He saved my ass when my old Merc gave up the ghost....And he gave me the part to fix it...I said GAVE not sold....Rich is a great man...

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
And to think i was considering BUYING an LCC!
Dog
Don't buy one unless you absolutely need it now. put your name on the list, & wait
see the info about commercial waitlist here. waiting time has not been long recently.

http://dnr2.maryland.gov/Fisheries/Pages/Commercial.aspx

DP
the link that polecat provided is a good one. many of the regulations can be found there

in addition

there is also the laws in the Annotated code of Md

a little convoluted to get to but not bad
here is the starting link
https://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/mdcode/

agree to the terms
scroll down to "Natural Resources" & click

then scroll to "fisheries" & click

then scroll down to your subject "Crabs" or "licenses" or any other subject & click

more info will be found in there

A note about contacting DNR service centers for info.
you will be speaking to a clerk ,not a legal adviser.
do not rely on them for good info. there have been numerous times that i have received wrong of incorrect info from the clerks.
or asked the same ???? to different clerks & received different answers.

·
Tidal Fish Commerical Lite Subscriber - My busines
5,155 Posts
A note about contacting DNR service centers for info.
you will be speaking to a clerk ,not a legal adviser.
do not rely on them for good info. there have been numerous times that i have received wrong of incorrect info from the clerks.
or asked the same ???? to different clerks & received different answers.
The above statement is ABSOLUTE FACT!!!

One more thing: Save every piece of paper you ever receive from DNR. Some day it could save your kiester.

Case in point: My daughter was in the process of transferring her LCC to another individual when the clerk said the transfer could not be completed due to the records DNR had in their computer. Computer showed my daughter had the license for only 2 years when the law required her to have it for 3 years before she could transfer it. My daughter produced licenses she held for 3 years. The transfer went through. Had my daughter not saved all of the paperwork, she would have had to wait another year.
The DNR & NRP are not infallible!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
You WILL make mistakes along the way. We all do. Take time to bone up on the regs so the mistakes you make don't cost you moneteraly. Take RJ and Polecat's advice.
Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts