Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A new form of boat tax??

Seems that Senator Maime Locke from Hampton is trying to generate money and has introduced a bill (SB 820 - 2009) in the senate to allow local communities to require the registration of boats. This would be in addition to the registration now required by the state of Virginia.

I guess Hampton wants to make it look as though Richmond is the bad guy as they try to get this bill passed and generate money locally since the boating community would squawk if the property tax was to go up and boats would move away thus causing them to lose money. Doing this could place yet another tax burden on all boat owners in the state of Virginia.

This is scheduled for January 2009.

Here's the link;

LIS > Bill Tracking > SB820 > 2009 session

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I'll start calling the AM...TARGET Senator Locke first and then my local senator...KILL THIS MEASURE NOW!!!!

You do the same...LOUD AND VOCAL

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Beach,

I have already written lengthy letter to my representatives urging non-support for this bill. If this is passed, it will not just be Hampton that gets nailed, it will be everyone as the state in these economic hard times cuts back their funding and the local municipalities start looking for ways to fill in the gaps.

I think this is just the start. Unfortunately, I think most will sit back, not write nor call their representatives, and then when it all goes through these folks will be like deer in the headlights wondering what happened.

Keep writing and I thank you for doing so. BTW, I do NOT live in Hampton, but York County.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I anticipate more such attempts to pass additional taxes, since the states are gonna have to borrow from the Feds to balance their books at a time of near-Depression. There's only one way they can pay the Feds back and that is to raise taxes locally and in the state. I saw a guy on Fox News the other day, who predicted this very thing would happen, especially as unemployment lines get longer.

Ironic that people are losing their jobs, yet the government wants to increase their taxes to pay for services! Maybe it's time to cut the numbers of state troopers, lower legislator's salaries and budgets, and reduce Professor salaries at state-run universities (who have been raising tuition rates for 10 years, faster than the rate of inflation...), all as a starting point.

Without the same amount of tax money coming in, how can the state think they should maintain the same level of "services"?

We, the taxpayers, are going to have to work to nip this kind of thing in the bud or we'll not have anything left except an empty wallet.

·
Registered
259 Posts
no surprise

Didn't like her as mayor, glad she left, looks like she's still an aggravation. Typical politician, always trying to get their hands in our pockets!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Wow, that post didn't last long. I'll try again.

This bill may be 'double jeopardy' -- requiring registration in 2 places.
Also, a lot of what is referred to the Committee on Agriculture, Conservation and Natural Resources dies there.
Keep an eye on it. Perhaps next year you'll see it again in a slightly different format.
budc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts