1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
279 Posts
specs.

stealth 14- 14'4", 33" wide, 550 lbs. rated

stealth 12- 12'4", 33" wide, 450 lbs. rated

I have an x-factor and I love it. I wonder how these will sell. the center livewell/storage is a great idea, however personally I keep a livewell in the back and would rather have the center space open for rod storage and such.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Yap.
This is the winner to me so far. I definetly (95%) buy a Stealth 14 (or 12) depending on the kayak weight. I an guessing the weight is about 62lb. I am not sure about the speed. but I was ok with Ocean Kayak malibu II (tandem). Having a livewell is blessing to me. I think (I wish), when I chase birds, I paddle with lesser effort on a Stelth 14 than a kayak with trolling bucket behind. I also love those recessed tool boxes. Malibu fixed the major problem (Can not put the battery box inside the kayak easily) on X-factor and x13. I am wondering if my wife can sit on the tank-well????. I can not wait until Patuxent Adventure Center gets them in.

Joe

·
Registered
279 Posts
if your wife can fit on it the kayak can support her. I have had 3 people on my x paddling to a nearshore wreck and it held up fine. if it is between the 12 or 14 I think you should get the 14. it may weight a little more but I think it suits your needs a little better. it could support you and your wife better and it would be an easier paddle for you. why cant you fit a battery box in the x factor? I can in mine. the x factor has more inside room than the stealth does.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/500/IMG_1179.JPG

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/500/IMG_1172.JPG

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
pier_man0909,
I guess I buy a Stealth-14. I assuming that Stealth 14 has the same hull as x-factor. How do you like the speed of x-factor?
2) Stealth-14 has longer tank-well than x-factor. I think I may be able to put a seat on the tank-well by adding two deck loops on the stern. This is an important selling point to my wife. I can justify why I need to replace one of the kayaks. She may come fishing with me possibly once a year. My 2nd kayak (Prowler 15) is in Long Island)

Joe

·
Registered
279 Posts
a lot of people say the x is slow and it is slower than other kayaks but me being a bigger guy the x is the most appropriate boat for me. it is by far not the slowest. I absolutely love it. I also know that even though it may be slower it can handle worse conditions than some of the "faster", less stable boats. my x is so stable I can throw a cast net off it. I bought it because fishability is my #1 concern. I think the tankwell is the same size, I have not seen otherwise. either in the tankwell or in front of you if you can rig a seat the kayak can take it. the stealth is not rated as high as the x but you will still be fine. that day I had 3 people on my x there was some guy paddling, another guy sitting on the front hatch and me sitting on the back. the best thing you could do is just to test one out when they come out. if you find that with both of you for whatever reason need more stability you can always make some stabilizers out of pool noodles which will create a lot of drag and you will lose speed. you can also get the malibu kayak tower which you could stand or sit on, pretty pricey though for someone who might fish with you once a year.

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/500/DSC_0124.JPG

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwegallery/data/500/DSC_0279.JPG

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
peirman,
Yes, it is a little pricy. But I love to have a live well. I fished about 30 times this year. I think this justify the price. I probably keep the current kayak for my wife and guests. I and my wife were on tandem kayaks few times. I couldn't fish at all. she was too playful.
Joe

·
Registered
279 Posts
I wasnt trying to talk you out of it. sure it is gonna be an awesome kayak. just kinda explaining why I personally wouldnt want one. I would rather have the space inside open to whatever I could put in it. that livewell isnt big enough for me anyways, it only looks to be around 2- 3 gallons to me and that usually doesnt hold enough bait for me. I like to get the net out only once a day get more than I think I need and release the live ones at the end of the day if there are any left. I use the shimano bristol bay livewell system. it holds between 6-8 gallons (i forget how much) and the soft top makes it really easy to get a bait out without the rest jumping out, mullet that is. I can make a few throws early and hopefully be done with it. I have ran out of bait a few times in the middle of the day and not been able to find any more, thats why I like to fill up early. I fish quite a bit to and from fishing as much as I have I have kinda molded into methods that work for me. I also have my transducer for my FF mounted under the hatch in front of the scupper holes and that looks undoable in the stealth model. I also like storing my rods inside the kayak if I am surf launching incast I roll I dont lose or break them in the shallow water and that doesnt look doable either in the stealth. like I said, I am not trying to talk you out of it, just trying to share some of my experience with my fishing and what helps me. hope you enjoy it.

Live-Well Bags

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Pierman,
Thnaks for the info. I learned a lot from you. I never thought about storing the rods inside when I surf launch. I used the bungees for paddle to secure the rods. When I and kaysks got rolled over because of strong surfs. I rinsed the reels in the saltwater after I made out. I am going to check everything you mentioned before I buy a new kayak.
Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
279 Posts
if you want the stealth I guess you could make a rod pod to lash on the side, any length you need, out of pvc with one closed end and one end you could open for the rods and a bag for the reels that you could store until you get past the breakers. the pvc may be in your way though. just try to be innovative and I'm sure you could come up with a solution.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I took a look at the info posted and really like the look of the Stealth. I've been disappointed with the new model Ocean Kayaks like the trident but think Malibu may really have something with this kayak. I agree with the guy about the size of the livewell being too small but if you take a net with you you can just add a few when you need them. I mostly fish live bait - probably 80% and prefer a turbo troll and $5 bubbler because I don't like having a lot of gear wired into my yak because there are times when I just travel light. The livewell on the stealth would also work for a tackle box like the guy on the other site mentioned - beer storage etc. I hear guys talking about storing rods in the rod pod on the trident and pier_man saying the same - the question I have is can you really get a 7' one piece medium-heavy rod with a reel on it through one of those hatches? I haven't done any extreme beach launches with huge waves but when I do go through rough conditions I have tiny bungees that strap my rods into my crate or built in rod holders + leashes. I wouldn't want to paddle out and then have to assemble & rig my gear.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I was talking about making one out of pvc that you could just strap on the side of the kayak. you would be either assembling outside the surf or use a large diameter pvc that would fit assembled rods. even just strapping down a rod may not do the trick. if you have a 7 foot rod in a holder with a leash on it and you try to launch and you roll in 4 feet of water there is a good chance your rod may snap. in my x factor I can put assembled rods inside and once I am in the safe zone I just open the hatch between my legs and pull them out.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I carry two rods. The paddle bungee straps worked fine for securing rods when the kayak rolled.
Come to think of my past bait-well system especially when I travel, I have used a small bucket (1-1.5 gal) or a gallon milk jug (top cut off) between my knees (for some kayak). It works. I can keep 10 baitfish (such as small pin fish and small spot) in it. I had to pour water into the bucket constantly with a plastic cup. and the small bucket did not interfere with me during paddling. Actually a small bucket works well if I need only 10 baitfish or the bait fish spot is close to where I fish. I also kept the trolling bucket upright between knees when I chased the birds for several minutes. On the Stealth 14, I don't plan to install a pump for the bait well in Chesapeake Bay. I will keep a plastic cup inside the well.
If I keep live eels in the bait-well on the Stealth 14, I will make an extra drain plug with many holes and use it so that fresh water comes in and out through the holes. Just enough to keep the skins of eels wet. Actually I can keep the eels alive in a small container with a liitle amount of water (1/4" deep). While I am writting this, something struck me. Do I really need a built-in baitwell???

Joe

·
Registered
279 Posts
a livewell is a must have, built in not really. it is a great feature though and to my knowlege it is the only kayak with that feature. I think it will be very popular and a hot seller. I believe retail will be $1,299 for the stealth 14.

·
Registered
181 Posts
my diy version of the x tower pictured below

hey guys i was bored at work (this economy has us auto collision guys slow too) and decided that i could make the x tower, mount it on my yak, and it work so i tried it and took it down to rudee last saturday. worked out great and its real stable standing up. i mainly plan on using it on the barrier island flats for those schools of puppy drum that everyone says arent there. but we will see. the coolest thing was as i was standing up there talking on the phone to my wife i looked down to see a huge school of monster trout swimming by about 15 feet in front of me. it was intense......lame i know some of you are thinking but it was pretty exciting. i know this is not for everyone but please no negitive replies....i got enough from everyone i work with haha

minnow

Attachments

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looks pretty sweet. Is that Lexan you're standing on?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
do you have a stabalizer boom or something?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts