Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy ya'll
My name is Steve Petersen. I recently moved to the area from CA. I'm Active duty NAVY stationed at NOB. I'm married with 2 kids 5/1 w/ another on the way. I was brought up hunting and fishing. Looking forward to taking a whitetail again. I'm originally from SE WA state and did alot of whitetail and upland hunting. While stationed in CA I had the opertunity to take a couple of Columbia blacktail and several wild boar. Never did get that darn bear. I hunt anything and everything I can and have the gear to hunt most of it. I hate starting over and learning all the new rule's and regs, and where to hunt, but I gota do it and it fun non the less. As I'm new I hope ya'll can help me out with any questions I may have. As I'm military I have acess to many of the bases for deer. But I have no clue were to start looking or an area to hunt turkey, upland birds, and waterowl.
I hope I don't come off like I'm asking for secret spots as I'm not and won't. I know whats its like to have that special place. I look forwart to talking with ya'll and maybe even meeting some of ya's.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Welcome aboard mate. You are now in the middle of a hunters paradise. There are plenty of places for waterfowl around here and turkey's are abundant. There are several WMAs close by as well as National Forrest within a few hours drive to try for that elusive bear. Also as you mentioned there are several military bases close by which offer a wide range of hunting opportunties. Most of the private land around here is leased by local hunt clubs. A couple of clubs have been listed on this site with open invitations to join. Few feel to drop me a line. it's a little late for deer hunting this year as Saturday is the last day, but it won't be too long before spring turkey season comes in. I don't waterfowl hunt but as you can tell for other post there are plenty of hunters around who would be more than willing to help you out. Oh, thanks for the job you do.[angel]

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No need for the thanks, if anything I should thank you for the support. Ya I was gonna try to do the deer thing but I decided not to haveing only been here but a month and change. I been up to Chicahominy WMA to the shooting range a couple times but thats a long way. I just found out about a range in Va. Beach and need to check it out. Got a new ML to tinker with, and I hear its a 200y range so I ain't go to put my 7mm in the safe to collect dust.

·
Registered
146 Posts
welcome to the area. The problem with eastern VA is that there is not a lot of public land for deer and turkey hunting and what little there is gets a little crowded. You've got a few options- military bases, take trips out to the Western part of the state (absolutely worth it- ALL Natl Forest), join a hunt club (most clubs are heavy into running dogs for deer, if you are into that great, if not find one that is not or plan to still hunt during blackpowder season or bowhunt) or be nice and ask permission from private landowners. The great thing is that there is a ton of deer and the bag limits are very liberal. Go to the game department website to view public hunting opps and regs. http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/. Also as far a fishing goes, definitely take people from the board up on offers to go. You will learn a lot about the area and meet some great people.

seaweasel

·
Registered
146 Posts
I forgot, my roomate is also from WA and he is also figuring out VA hunting. It is very different, mostly shotguns and tighter spaces. I had to explain to him that we actually wear camo to hunt and that we use actual duck calls rather than whatever sounds you can make with your mouth. Apparently the animals are way dumber in WA than in VA!

seaweasel

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have never hunted from a stand or blind (except for duck and goose) so thats a new one for me even thought I have a climber stand. I'm used to useing my Rem 7mm for everything and spot and stalking. Heck in CA is was nothing to walk 10-15 miles a day while deer/bear hunting. I'm a cammo nut and wear it all the time. Glad to see that orange is required. Never had to wear it in CA but did in WA.
As for domb animals in WA. I'm feom Kennewick in the SE corner and with all the WMA's refuges we got its the #1 stop for the Pacific flyway. Its also the first major stop so calling isn't really needed as they see deeks and come right on in. 15y is an average shot for the start of the seasion.
I do gotta ask how the dove hunting is. I LOVE shooting them suckers. I see ya'll got 3 seasions with a 12 bird limit. I like them numbers.

·
Registered
533 Posts
You have just moved to a good location. Don't forget the fishing it's also gets really good. It is a lttle late this year as stated but start talking and things will be good next season. Good Luck.
Eastduck

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
you're in a good location for turkey, deer, and waterfowl. Unless you really really enjoy upland hunting (grouse, quail) it is not worth it. You can get some decent woodcock hunting when the flights come in..

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I just hope I'll be able to hunt next fall. I just found out that I may be headed to kuait in a few weeks for 6+ monthes. Atleast I can pack a poll with me provided i go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts