Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IGFA Representative Announcement<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
28 December 2010
<o:p></o:p>
"World Record Shuffle"
NEW Pending Alltackle World Record
<o:p></o:p>
Alfonsino (Beryx decadactylus) 8lbs 5oz

Although I am usually the one who contacts the IGFA for assistance with world record issues, occasionally I'll receive a call or an email from the IGFA to discuss an applicant's case or other IGFA issues.

The IGFA World Record Coordinator, Jack Vitek recently called me to verify some information on an applicant's pending paperwork. Jack then hit me with some incredible news about the pending record. It turns out that Virginia is now the beneficiary of yet another different species pending in the record book, as well as establishing the first Alltackle World Record for the species once it's approved!

Jack explained that the Darwin's Slimehead application I assisted Kevin Wong of Virginia Beach submit in October was ready to be signed off as the new Alltackle World Record for that species. One of the photos of the fish was selected to use in the IGFA newsletter. When Jason Schratwieser, the IGFA Conservation Director, was reviewing the photos for the newsletter, something about the pending slimehead caught his attention. Jason immediately contacted Jack, and requested all of the photos submitted with Kevin's package. After careful evaluation of all the photos, Jason informed Jack that Kevin's fish was actually a huge Alfonsino, another bright orange deepwater species with huge eyes. So back to the drawing board, and Kevin's fish was reclassified as a pending Alltackle World Record Alfonsino.

I couldn't wait to tell Kevin the incredible news. When I relayed the information to Kevin, he was very excited. He is hoping for a quick approval to make it official.

Kevin caught the fish near the Norfolk Canyon off Virginia Beach on October 10th onboard the Wave Runner, captained by Michael Meredith.
Congrats again Kevin and Crew!

Dr. Julie Ball

Smile Sleeve Fish Seafood T-shirt

Attachments

·
Registered
972 Posts
Wow, cant believe that this was picked up only by chance when a pic was going to be used in a newsletter....
Does the IGFA not have a ichthyologist (or panel of em) on call for reviewing pics of deep water fish species that can often be hard to I.D.?
Cool fish though.

H.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I thought the exact same thing when I read the post H. Seriously? The IGFA was just about to approve an All Tackle World Record for the wrong species? "Wow" is right.

Congrats to Kevin Wong!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts