Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
?????? Is something wrong with this regulation? Sounds like it will help the fishery, no?
I am in full support of this regulation. Protect the fishery. Don't see it much anymore but it would drive me nuts during catch and release season people mishandling fish for a photo opp. There is absolutely no reason to pull a fish out of the water if its out of season.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
There is no constitutional right to catch or harvest fish. Fish and wildlife are a public trust resource that belongs to everyone not just rec fishermen, and regulators need to protect fish during closed seasons. I like the idea that there are restrictions on how you catch and release fish out of season, that is reasonable and rational fisheries management aimed at conserving the resource. I have fished the Flats for stripers and I have been surprised at how poorly many fishermen practice catch and release--too many pictures and too much chest thumping and not nearly enough concern for the health of the fish.

In MD if you target stripers using striper lures (not shad darts or perch/shad gear) or if you have much striper bycatch in the spawning rivers like the Susky when the striper season is closed MD DNR will issue you a citation/fish ticket. In FL you are not allowed to touch or remove Goliath grouper from the water.

This has nothing to do with infringing on the "rights" of rec fishermen and everything to do with conservation of the resource. These regs and policies are to protect the fish from the fishermen for long term conservation and management purposes. Do ethical recs really see a problem with that?

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/...hing-Goliath-Grouper-FWC-is-handing-out-fines!

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I think this is over-reaching.

Pound nets - which are touted as one of the "cleanest" commercial fisheries have catch & release being practiced all the time. Ever see how these fish are handled after being caught?

I suggest you stop and watch one day and then come back and talk to me about taking a freekin' picture of some fish you caught and released...

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Nothing wrong with that law, closed season, shouldn't be fishing for that fish. But, if you catch a trophy fish, go ahead and take that picture. How's the commercial go "breaking the law=$250.00,, catching biggest fish ever "Priceless". Have to imagine how you get caught, guess if it makes the local papers?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
MD should change the law to at least seasonally prohibit pound net fishing in the striped bass spawning rivers that are seasonally closed to all rec fishing rec including catch and release.
First off I have no clue what this reply has to do with the NY regulation, but what is the difference now? The ASMFC #'s indicate that the dead discard rate for pounds nets is the same as Hook and Line, right?
So if Recreational fisherman are allowed to target other species (in those rivers) why shouldn't the Commercial fisherman?

I would agree that if ALL Recreational fishing were prohibited, then ALL Commercial fishing should also be prohibited.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts