Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was just one of those days where everything fell into place. I was off due to the Columbus Day Holiday and this also just happened to be the day that Tristate Marine put the new 34' Parker in the water. Moored the darn thing on the same pier as the Frayed Knot. Anyway, I was at Tristate and Bill Gay said to meet Jimmy at the boat at 1:00 pm to take a ride. Was sitting on the dock at noon as I didn't want to miss this chance. Jimmy showed at 1:00 and he and I untied the lines and backed her out of the slip. Jimmy said take over as he wanted to look around the boat and check out all the equipment on the boat. Darnit I had to drive.
Boat has no electronics so I was guessing at the 6 knots out of Rockhold Creek. Passed the jetty and was about to wet myself waiting on the #1 buoy to go by so I could get this thing up on plane. I am not a throttle slammer on my boat so I sure wasn't about to slam the throttle on a boat with 10 minutes on the engine. Eased the pair of 350's up to about 3500 rpm and the nose set down on plane and off we went. Headed toward the 3 legged 1 on flat seas. Jimmy said he was going to start the generator which he did but I could not hear it at the helm. Eased up to 4200 and it seemed like we were flying. Made a couple of hard lefts and rights and was pleasantly surprised how nimble this 14000 pound handled.

Wanted to bust a wake to see how it responded and found the Patrick motoring in, cut in across his wake and heard thump, thump thump, did not feel a thing in the seat. Made a couple of hard 360's each way and crossed my own wake, nothing but a smooth ride. Jimmy thought we ought to see a little more so I bumped her up to 5200 rpm and we were absolutely flying. I would guess close to 50 mph.

Without electronics speed is hard to judge at least for me so it is hard to give you an accurate assessment of speed. According to the fuel management guages at 3200 rpm we were buring 22.1 gph, at 4200 we were burning 28.6 gph and at 5200 rpm we were burning 51 gph. I ran in an area which I frequently fish and estimate the total trip was around 16 miles from dock to dock. This includes about 1 1/2 miles of 6 mph but when we tied up at the slip the system said we had burned 12.4 gallons of fuel.

As in every boat each has its individual nuances and this is no exception but as far as performance and ride this by far was one of the best that I have been on. Boat is going to Annapolis in the morning for the Powerboat Show this weekend and will be in the water the following week in Deale unless somebody buys her.:clap::clap::clap:

·
Premium Member
26,288 Posts
:D So tempting but I'll be nice :pp. Sounds like a real beast and a nice fishing platform :thumbup:. Surprised you did not bust her cherry and put the first fish in the box.Twin 350's - wow that's some power.The fuel burn is not too hateful at a reasonable speed but wide open :eek: - ouch 50 gallons an hour.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Skip- They say WOT is around 6000 rpm but the fuel management system only had 2 digits for gph. I can only imagine what that rate equates to.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Sounds like one sweet boat, Wayne. You're a lucky guy getting to perform the break-in run :thumbup:

On the other hand - 700 HP, 50 MPH speed, 51 GPH fuel burn - makes my wallet hurt just thinking about it :D

·
Registered
654 Posts
It passed me in the creek this morning. Wow it is big, makes those huge F350s look smallish. No mistaking it as a Parker. I eased my 21SE out of the way just in case they couldn't see me at close range. :pp

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Capt Wayne.................could that 34 be known as the......."Frayed Knot II" in the near future? Sounds like a sweet ride...............................Mark

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All I need to do is hit just 1 lottery to purchase her and 1 more lottery for fuel. Man it is a very nice boat.:yes:

Since the side of the boat is so long, I would probably name her:

Frayed Knot 2 Located on Rockhold Creek and Piloted by Captain Wayne D. Morgan from Louisville, Kentucky: in all capital letters

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Nice but wayyy overkill for the Bay, esp when we need to reduce energy consumption.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
wayne i missed the opportunity to see that boat, i called ron, he said it just left for the show. i go to the show anyway, but was hoping to see it on a trailer!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
John- Tristate drove to Annapolis by water. Will return next Monday and be slipped at Twin Oaks Marina thru the following weekend. From the County Pier in Deale you can see it very well.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
On the other hand - 700 HP, 50 MPH speed, 51 GPH fuel burn - makes my wallet hurt just thinking about it :D
This could be an ideal boat for Venezuela. I spent most of last week in three cities there -- the drivers are completely nuts. One of the positive aspects of the Chavez regime is that gasoline prices have been fixed by the state at 10 bolivares fuerte per liter. Because the only gasoline you can buy in the country is sold by the national oil company PDVSA, it is always the same price.

I was shocked to learn that they pay the equivalent of about 20 cents per gallon. It is unbelievable. However, given the other conditions I experienced there, I will be happy to pay more than $3 per gallon and be back in the good old US of A in a few days.

I am in southern Argentina this week in an oil producing region. Here they are paying a little over $2 equivalent.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts