Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the "upper" Middle patuxent today at lunch.

Hooked a few nice chubs/stonerollers (up to 12"!)and then tied into a nice "holdover" rainbow trout. Caught em all on one of my favorite lures; the marabou jigs they sell at BPS like 12 on a card for a couple bucks.

Used black 1/16 oz with a little power bait crayfish (<1"). Brown/orange also work well here.

Looks like trout in the pan for an appetizer tonite!

Some of the chubs get really big and some are them horn-heads.

Cool:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
There's a bunch of those horney head chubs in the upper Patapsco and on ultra light they feel just like trout. Glad you got a nice trout for the table. Rainbow ha. Any smallmouth up that way?

·
Premium Member
8,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nick:

Upper patapsco? how far upper? like woodstock, sykesville MD? We fish the upper Pat. for trout now, and smallies/sunnies later.

Below Blodes dam I catch all kinds of stuff (10 species one day).

Stomach contents included:

Crayfish (2)
helgamites (2+?)
small 'fish'
pebbles (several)
dragonfly nymph
chonimids(sp) ("bloodworms")
scuds
other stuff couldnt tell what

This fish was no spring stocker..

Beautiful orange tint flesh (not gray)
I typically dont keep stocked trout. If I do its for the cats..
This one is now part of my stomach contents:yes:

Lures were extremely similar to stomach contents (small black marabou jig small brown/orange marabou jig
both with small power bait crawfish trailer.

Ill have to try using jigs for trout more often, they are alot cheaper than spinners...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Nice job

It's nice to be able to get away sometimes during the day. Sounds like you had a good lunch and pretty good dinner!!

Bret:usa:

·
Registered
5,375 Posts
When Iwas a kid I fished below Blodes Dam a couple of time a week. Used to ride our bikes from Catonsville every other morning. Got to know every glass full of water there. Since Hurricane Agnes changed the physical structure of the upper Patapsco I've been fishing from the Rt 70 bridge up to Daniels Dam mostly for smallmouth bass. Everyonce is a while I'll catch a nice rainbow in that section by the Johnnycake bridge.

It's interesting that you found hellgramites in the stomach of the trout this time of year. Maybe the few warm days we just had got them stirring. That's my #1 bait for big sm.

Anyway it's always a bonus to catch a carry over.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts