Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Looks like running traps or 1200ft w/ a Bay Sports License will be a thing of the past.

Looks to me that this is leading up to mandatory reporting not unlike COMM.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Thanks for providing the link RJ!

From the perspective of presenting an open and transparent regulatory proposal for public review and comment, it would be very helpful for MD DNR to add a slide that discusses the word "or" being inserted where the word "and" is in the current regs relative to recs use of trotline gear and/or trap/net ring gear. The obvious question is whether this an intended reg chage that they have chosen not to discuss openly (i.e., rec crabbers would no longer be allowed to use both gears at the same time, use would be limited to one or the other gear type at one point in time) or instead was it an untentional drafting error in producing the powerpoint?

·
Registered
290 Posts
i was'nt there but from what i heard the intent will be to limit catch to 1 bu per boat period. i'm not sure about the gear wording or change. alot of states limit recs. to a bu per day or less now and with the condition of the crab population and the hit the lower bay comm. took this year it seemsonly fair.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Randomly putting limits on the rec catch has already proven to be fruitless in the past. The crabs have still continued to decline. That proves that the majority of the pressure is from elsewhere. Cutting the gear and catch limits will only double the amount of traffic out there. People still want their crabs and they aren't willing or able pay $5 per crab to get them... so they will catch their own.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
So the second link did not work for me. . .

Question. So I have a boat license the viewgraph said that it "only covers one person on the boat"

Does that mean that my 17 year old son would have to have an individual license to go out with me? What if he just drives the boat while I work the trot line?

If my wife wants to go just to "look pretty" while I crab? Does she have to get a license?

In my opinion a boat license ought to be like all other boat licenses. It covers anyone who is on the boat crabbing.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Tom - Tell your wife that there is no free lunch anymore...:nono: She will need a license to look pretty because the way I read this is that if you are running a line, everyone on the boat will need to be separately licensed. It does not appear that the Chesapeake Bay boat license will cover crabbing next year if adopted. Jim

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Where is the changes for out of state residents?:nono: They should charge all out of state residents 100.00 min. a year to crab in Maryland waters.:hammer::usa:

I hope they get this into law by next season:thumbup:

Phil(lily):thumbup:

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
Tom - I was just pulling your leg. My wife doesn't like crabbing and based on our last joint experience running a trotline... I'm glad. Anything that could have happened - did.. stingray circling the boat like a great white, skies opened up on us, she slammed the throttle down and knocked me over.... Jim

·
Registered
321 Posts
A reduction in rec crabs is only going to be more crabs for comm to catch. If there is a reduction it has to be across the board. I am not saying that all crabs that are not now caught by rec will be caught by comm but a large number will. That was part of the ***** on females. Out of staters should pay more to crab the bay. It is always a larger price to persue game and fish for anyone who is out of state any where. $100 sound steep. But there is a value greater then resident that is fair.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Well stated Dwayne E.:yes: I said @ 100.00 -reason? When I hunt deer in Shrewsbury, PA. every year, I have to pay 101.00 for my license and 26.00 for an Archery stamp and another 25.00 for Muzzeloader.. That = 151.00. I can only kill 1 buck. -1 deer

Now go to the ramp @ the WYE RIVER and walk the road when the crabs are running good. You can walk 1 1/2 miles and all you will see is @ 95 % of all trailers have out of state license plates. DE. and PA.:nono:

They take 1 or 2 bushel of crabs every weekend and only have to pay 5.00 for their license to crab all year.:nono:

This is just one example of many and I'm only talking about the Wye River, how about the CHESTER--COX CREEK-THOMPSON CREEK-CHOPTANK- majority of all trailers are from out of state.:nono:

Just my .02 cents

Phil(lily):yes:

·
Registered
264 Posts
a $100 crab lisence then what you gotta buy a bass stamp $30 then a catfish stamp$20 you can get a perch permit for $5 they need to stop taking money out of my pocket i dont mind spending money when somthing usefull will come out of it but it seams like a money maker nothing to do with a survey if they want to know what we catch make us fill out a survey when we buy our lisence it easy

·
Registered
321 Posts
Surveys will not tell the right story. First of all you will be trying to rember how many bushel of crabs you caught last year. How many you you caught is not the real number that is needed to be known. What is needed to be known is how many are remaining, and of how many remaining, how many can be removed that year and still be able to sustain enough breeding stock to continue. Then you factor in natural mortality. We have a puzzle that is complicated. But a total reduction(comm and recs) in harvest will never desimate a population that is on the down slide.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I agree with the statement regarding out-of-state residents crowding out the locals when crabbing.

I'd like to see a system where you have to purchase a book of stamps/tags that are required to be attached to your basket. You would have to punch the tag so you can only use it one time, There could also be a carbon imprint that you would keep for your records -- in case a tag happened to get lost.You would buy the tags in a book of ten.

Residents would pay $2.00 per tag, non-residents $20.00 per tag. The tags available would be based on the desired harvest rate * the bio-mass. Residents would have first crack at buying the tags.

This would generate increased revenue for the crab management at DNR. The one requirement is that the funding stay with DNR; any remaining funds would fund ghost crab pot clean-up and/or reef development.

DNR would know how many tags were distributed and can calculate the harvest based on that number.

If you're caught crabbing without a tag attached to your basket -- you lose fishing/crabbing and hunting priviledges in Maryland.

Just thinking out loud.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Well stated Dwayne E.:yes: I said @ 100.00 -reason? When I hunt deer in Shrewsbury, PA. every year, I have to pay 101.00 for my license and 26.00 for an Archery stamp and another 25.00 for Muzzeloader.. That = 151.00. I can only kill 1 buck. -1 deer

Now go to the ramp @ the WYE RIVER and walk the road when the crabs are running good. You can walk 1 1/2 miles and all you will see is @ 95 % of all trailers have out of state license plates. DE. and PA.:nono:

They take 1 or 2 bushel of crabs every weekend and only have to pay 5.00 for their license to crab all year.:nono:

This is just one example of many and I'm only talking about the Wye River, how about the CHESTER--COX CREEK-THOMPSON CREEK-CHOPTANK- majority of all trailers are from out of state.:nono:

Just my .02 cents

Phil(lily):yes:
My buddy lives in NJ, not far off the Delaware memorial Bridge. His brother owns a home improvement and landscaping business. Every weekend during the summer and fall he drives down to the Wye and catches 2 bushel takes them back to NJ and sells them for $150 a bushel. Every Saturday and every Sunday. he writes off the mileage as a business expense and makes $600 a weekend for about 20 weekends a year. He makes $12,000.00 a year selling MD crabs. It pays for his Christmas and every winter he goes to Islamorada FL. for a week of bill fishing and relaxation. That $100 permit isn't going to stop him BUT he will pay it. If they are going to come anyway, I say will make them pay more.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
At the present time, the price for a non-resident license is $10.00, not $5.00.

Also, if a Pa resident wanted to hunt in Maryland it would cost him more than if a MD resident wants to hunt in PA.

Ele

1 - 20 of 63 Posts