Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a letter over the weekend from VMRC regarding a new reef that is proposed for implementation about 3 miles east of the entrance to the Salt Ponds. The precise coordinates for the reef corners are:

NW 37-04.000N 76-13.100W
NE 37-04.000N 76-12.200W
SW 37-03.300N 76-13.100W
SE 37-03.300N 76-12.200W

On the chart that they sent me it is just outside of the 16 foot contour in 20 to 24 feet of water.

The reef is about 1450 yards on a side. There is a meeting on Wed. the 14th at 7PM to which representives of the commercial and recreational intrests have been invited. At it the siting issues and concerns will be discussed prior to the matter going to the Commission on March 27th.

As was the Poquoson River Reef and the Mobjack Bay Reef from last year, this reef location has been on the table for about 10 years now. I understand that they already have a Army Corps permit and the only hurtle left is Commission approval.

I am interested in comments from the members of this board regarding this reef.

I urge folks to send your opinions regarding this reef and it's location, etc. to Jack Travelstead at VMRC:

[email protected]

Fax (757)-247-2002

Or mail comments to:
Jack Travelstead
VMRC Fisheries Management Division
2600 Washington Avenue
3rd Floor
Newport News, Virginia 23607

Tom

·
Registered
444 Posts
Another reef would be great; why so close to Bluefish Rock though? Just curious.

Cheers,
Walt

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
I signed at the boat show as well. Bluefish rock area was chosen because the bottom is hard and the concrete won't sink down into the sand and mud as easy due to the harder bottom. They put one off York Spit a few years ago and it has all but gone due to the soft bottom aroundthe Spit.

I hope they approve it, it will be a another great place for those of us with smaller boats.

Email sent.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Not as close as FishDad, but a short run from Little Creek.

Strongly support these projects, just as Big Jim indicated.

Brian

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool
481 Posts
Reef projects

:clap: I'm like Big Jim I'm in favor of all reef projects and when it's close to any ramp makes it even better. Sent my opinion to Jack Travelstead. Tom I thought Mike Myers was in charge of the reef program.
Bob

·
Registered
126 Posts
thats just a stroll from our docks..so im all for it.:yes:

ill take any improvement to fishing, especially when it brings the fish closer to port. that reef will help out when the weathers rough....and with the gas $$$:death: :surrender:

Mark.

·
Tidal Fish SUPER Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
460 Posts
I'm all for it. A reef any where is a good thing but this close to home is great. Coming from Back river or Poqroson river makes for a short trip to two fishing reefs.:D :D :D

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I'm all for any new reef complex as well. Why would it be set 4nm from an existing one though? A more logical place would be a couple miles east of the 4th island in deeper water.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
why would anyone ever say no to more habitat ?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Can never have too much structure! Im all for it.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As to the "why here" question. . .

If you look at the chart showing the location of all of the reefs that I have below (not the best image but it will work)

You will see that there is a like of reefs going down along both shores of the bay. The general concept is to have reefs that folks can get to from their home port without traveling a long distance. Furthermore, the concept is that if you get to one reef and it is jammed you can pick up and run to the next one either north or south and have a reasonable chance of getting a spot.

The Eastern shore got theirs first because one or both of the big fishing clubs lobbyed VMRC for them several years ago. About 5 or 6 years ago CCA had a big chart and survey at the fishing show and took a survey. The results indicated that folks along the southern and western shore of the bay wanted the same. (no duh?).

Since then there has been one or two new reefs up near the northern neck. One was added at York Spit, Mobjack Bay, and Poquoson River. Bluefish rock is next.

Others that were on the list was two inside the CBBT but I don't recall exactly where right now, one NW of Lynhaven Inlet out about 1 to 2 miles, and a few more that I don't even recall where now.

As far as the order. I guess it is hard to tell the guys in Hampton, York and Gloucester to wait for their reefs when the you put one in near the largest artificial fishing reef in the world (CBBT).

BTW Bird I will pass on your observation re York spit to Mike so that he can investigate and make adjustments to placement or priority of placement of new material.)

Tom

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
A 50-ft Crab Boat Has Been Reported Sunk In 20 Ft Of Water, The Mast Is Visible Above Water And The Wreck May Be Breaking Up, The Wreck Is Unmarked; Pos. Approx

flounder ;)

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Jim is the king in that area for early season flounder. He gets on them on the south end of Buckroe and just follows them right up the beach to BRR. I think the closed season is gonna mess up his paper this year, but he swears he'll just take a release.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts