Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody heard anything yet about new regs this year for the trophy season. Spoke to a charter captain from Rock Hall, rumor has it they are going to up the size limit, only one charter per day and no planer boards the first 2 weeks. Just wonder if anybody else has heard anything ?

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I'll tell ya, gotta love that 'planer board restriction' rule if its true!!! (Granted I don't have planers..yet). And we all know that people who do run them catch the majority of their fish on them. That's gonna upset some charters who won't be able to run their 20 rod spreads.....:p

·
Registered
700 Posts
I'm hoping the rumor that the DNR is going to let you keep a slot fish on the Flats is true for this year during the spring season. This is something that is long over due!
Get frustrated seeing the reports of people nailing rock during the "spring season" while we have to wait it out till 6/1.
DNR isn't stupid, all the good fish are gone up here by then.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I'm hoping the rumor that the DNR is going to let you keep a slot fish on the Flats is true for this year during the spring season. This is something that is long over due!
Get frustrated seeing the reports of people nailing rock during the "spring season" while we have to wait it out till 6/1.
DNR isn't stupid, all the good fish are gone up here by then.
This will never happen I don't care who says what the problem would be people keeping cows. You could not enforce the rules out there. There are too many people fishing out there now. If you told people they could keep them then there would be twice as many people out there. The fish are too vulnerable at that time to keep them they are too concentrated and this could damage the fishery. Do I agree with being able to keep them down the bay NO I don't. A breeder is a breeder any way you look at it. The last few years have been cold springs. A lot of the charter captains were reporting the fish they were catching were full of sea lice. These fish haven't laid there eggs yet and will never get a chance. Those big fish are full of contaminants anyway I am not saying they don't taste good they just arn't good for you too eat too many. Go out there and catch a fish of a lifetime and release her. Get a fiberglass mount done and let that be that. I think if this continues the repercussions will be felt sooner than later. I am not a biologist I just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
I'll tell ya, gotta love that 'planer board restriction' rule if its true!!! (Granted I don't have planers..yet).
Yep, that will solve the problem.

I can pull 16 rods with boards and 10 without. I guess those 6 rods are the difference between me catching my 1 fish and no fish.:p

·
Premium Member
26,270 Posts
I heard only left handed people will be able to fish on odd days but only on incoming water from red boats.:D :eek: NOTHING has been decided yet.Alot depends on how the ASMFC feels about our overage.The later start (if we stay with 3rd Sat. in April) plus the warmer water temps may make for a quick season and low harvest.The battle over the boards is funny-outlaw them and then we'll rig up low flying kites in a similar way.:D Skip

·
Registered
826 Posts
new regs trophy rock

What`s the big deal with Md anglers getting their shot at these big rock? These fish are pounded up and down the east coast by recreational anglers and commerical anglers. I feel there should be a tagging system in place where each state is given a predetermined number of tags to be purchased by the angler. A tag must be placed on the rock if they wish to keep their trophy rock this would encourage CR. I am against any fishing in their spawning grounds. How would you like to be disturbed while spawning?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Gee Chugbugger...you think it's okay to KILL them on their way to the spawning grounds, but we shouldn't disturb them once they get there? (even for C & R) Twisted logic in my opinion.

By the way, DNR says the Flats are not spawning grounds, only a staging area.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I'll tell ya, gotta love that 'planer board restriction' rule if its true!!! (Granted I don't have planers..yet). And we all know that people who do run them catch the majority of their fish on them. That's gonna upset some charters who won't be able to run their 20 rod spreads.....:p
Unc--
I catch about half my Spring rock on planers and half without. They don't seem to catch more fish but let me get more baits in the water.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I catch about half off planer boads too, if I'm not pulling them it will just take a little longer to get my limit. My brother runs 6 rods off his boat and we always get our limit, usually a crew of four. Eliminating planer boards is not the answer, IMO.

·
Registered
826 Posts
new regs for trophy

Hey Ed I`m big into C+R. I believe when these fish are staged to spawn they shouldn`t be disturbed. Sure the mortality is said to be low but how does the stress affect the spawn? The season down bay could start 2 weeks later and the fishing still would be good in the mid bay , by then most rock should have staged to spawn.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Flats cat, if we would be allowed to keep a fish on the flats, between May 15th & June 1, it would be a slot fish, from 18 - about 24". These are considered resident fish. These are not the so called big cows.

Chugbugger, the most important thing for the spawn is the water. If we have low water, we have a low YOY index. If we have high water, we have a high YOY index. C & R has not way been proven to hurt the spawning fish. The majority of fish do not spawn on the flats anyway.

Ele

·
Registered
423 Posts
With all the slaying going on at CBBT and south, we should get our share in the upper bay, it doesn't seem like there's a shortage of fish down there.

The flats should have a one fish slot limit too.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Rock Hall Rumor

Anybody heard anything yet about new regs this year for the trophy season. Spoke to a charter captain from Rock Hall, rumor has it they are going to up the size limit, only one charter per day and no planer boards the first 2 weeks. Just wonder if anybody else has heard anything ?
---Every Harbour has its local Scuttlebutt & Sea Lawyers , or Rumors---Amounts to a pinch of **** in Asian money--

--When your Future is controled by Outsiders , I'd be more concered with dock talk , coming from Cape Cod --

--One rod in Maryland ='s--2 armed baits
--One rod in Coastal Fishery ='s How many armed baits ?

--We will get whatever Crumbs the King's Court throws to us Serfs--Oh Well

·
Registered
37 Posts
If they tell me I can't pull "Skips" boards anymore, it'll just take a little longer to catch my limit. Just like everyone else. Either way, we'll still catch our limit every day. Don't know how that reg. is going to help the over all picture. Capt. Charlie

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.