Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://dnr2.maryland.gov/fisheries/Pages/challenge/rules.aspx?hc_location=ufi

Governor's Striped Bass Conservation Award Rules

The Governor's Striped Bass Conservation Award recognizes any recreational angler who releases alive a striped bass catch of 40" or more while fishing Maryland waters during the open season.

• You must follow the Maryland Fishing Challenge's catch & release angler award rules (see above) and register your fish via the contest registration process.
  • Once your registration is submitted and verified, you will receive your Maryland Fishing Challenge Award catch & release certificate within 45 days.
  • Governor's Striped Bass Conservation Awards will be issued following the completion of the current year's Maryland Fishing Challenge.
  • Only one Governor's Striped Bass Conservation Award will be issued per angler per year. If you register more than one verified fish for this award in a year, your certificate will reflect the total number of fish you released that year.
You can still get a state citation for a fish a fish over 40" if you decide to keep a fish and check it in to a sport center. The new citation is a cool gesture to those who may not want to keep a big fish.

Keep in mind that whether you release a fish or keep a fish over 40", you get a state citation and are entered in the Maryland Fishing Challenge.. (In the past, you got a nice Under Armour T-shirt just for showing up in Sept. Likely the same this year.)

I think it is great that the state is promoting the releasing of fish while we still have a reasonable opportunity to take too. It kind of goes against the mindset of the regulations set a few years ago for the preseason but I view it as a good thing.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Good idea. 40+'s are not the best eating fish. One a week keeps my family fed. How much more do you need?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts